Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Bighorns for 2009 XP

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 08:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bighorns for 2009 XP

Hello everyone!! I have been on this website for a few years now and I cant tell you how many ?s all of you have answered for me. I decided it was about time I registered, so here is my first ?.
Im heading to Tennessee again and I dont trust my stock tires on the rocks so.....
I just ordered a set of bighorns and I understand i will have to do a sway bar mod.(2009 xp) it seems pretty easy. Did all the guys that posted pics of their aftermarket tires do this mod? Also I was taking a close look at the rear tires and it seems like I would still have clearance from the bar if I go from a 10" width (stock) to a 11" width. I am only adding 1/2" to the inside right???
Thank you everyone for a great website!!

Old 03-30-2010, 07:43 AM
Trailblazer

Tire dimensions vary from one brand to the next such as a 26" tire may actually be a 27" or 25" same thing applies to the width of a tire. I cannot say that all the guys on here have done the sway bar mod. It was probably only done as needed I imagine.
In the case of the bighorns you will need to tweak the sway bar to make them fit or go with spacers.
Also since your a member now, try doing some searches on the subject. There is plenty of older posts that talk about this same issue.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply I have done the searches and looked through a lot of the old posts, I just couldnt see why I would have to bend the bar. I dont have a problem doing it, it just seems like I have plenty of room for the bigger tire. Is there a chance that it is a late model 2009 and they made the adjustment to the sway bar like the 2010s?
Sorry if this post seems like Im kicking a dead horse with an issue a lot of you have already gone over and answered.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Trailblazer

All the 09 Models were the same. Worse case you put the new tires on and they rub. You will find out real fast that doing the sway mod or spacers will be needed. Its that simple!

Old 03-30-2010, 04:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah your right. Like I said Im not trying to get out of doing it I just like talking to people like yourself about this kind of stuff.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:41 AM
Trailblazer

I have a 500 but just put the same tires on it you are. the bighorns are actually a 27". They fit fine on my quad but if you only need a little clearence, try jsut a few washers cause it doesnt take much.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks Maverick that is good idea. Today i put the ratchet strap on and cranked it down. I figured since everyone else had to do it i might as well do it now, rather than get the tires on Friday realize they didnt fit and still have to do it. The only thing is I was curious to see how close of a fit it would have been.
Just out of curiosity Maverick what made you decide to go with the bighorns? Also, I do remember reading that they run an inch bigger. I guess that's ok with me, but a few of my friends went with 25" so they stayed closer to stock size.

Old 03-31-2010, 07:39 PM
Trailblazer

I put the 26 BH's on my 850 (11" rears) and I did the sway bar mod before mounting them. It went fine and then I had about 3/8" minimum clearance when the bike was jacked up with the wheels hanging down which is when there is the least amount of clearance.

Old 04-01-2010, 06:34 AM
Trailblazer

From all the research i did, they seemed to not be amazing at anything, but great at everything. I just thought they were the best do it all tire beacuse i ride on hard trails, snow, mud, and rocks... not to mention their toughness rating is off the charts. If i was gonna pay that money, i wanted them to last... and i found a great deal on them. They are more of 27" but give good clearence do to the fact that they have a more rounded profile so that will help with your problem.

Old 04-06-2010, 01:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

Originally Posted by Miaugi
I put the 26 BH's on my 850 (11" rears) and I did the sway bar mod before mounting them. It went fine and then I had about 3/8" minimum clearance when the bike was jacked up with the wheels hanging down which is when there is the least amount of clearance.
Miaugi - How much did you have to bend the sway bar doing the mod? I ask, because it seems like a lot if you now have 3/8" clearance now.

Just looking for START figures...and FINISH figures??? Appreciate any info...

Thanks,
biz

Quick Reply: Bighorns for 2009 XP