Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Frustrated!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 03:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frustrated!!!

Just put the EPI HD springs on the front of my wheeler and of course during the install I let the wheel drop too far and popped out the CV joint. Couldn't get it back together without opening the CV boot and of course when I did that I put a little tear in the boot. It took me about 3 hours to do the first spring because I needed a little trial and error to get it apart and I wrecked the boot... the other side took about 45 minutes with no damages. OH well lesson learned. Now I am waiting for the new boot so I can actually ride the machine with the new springs. I have the back still to install but I wanted to do an update with just the front springs first....

Old 04-06-2010, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider

Just to remind you, you will need compressors to do the rears...

John

Old 04-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sucks to learn the hard way but at least you will have an easier time if you have to take it apart again. Got so good at having to replace boots on my old 05 800 I could tear down one side in @ 10 minutes blindfolded. Didn't go so well at first though. At least you have the satisfaction of being able to do it yourself. I know people who will pay to have a shop replace an air filter in their auto so they don't have to go through the "hassle" of doing it themselves. Drives me nuts!

Old 04-07-2010, 03:34 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Big600twin
Just put the EPI HD springs on the front of my wheeler and of course during the install I let the wheel drop too far and popped out the CV joint. Couldn't get it back together without opening the CV boot and of course when I did that I put a little tear in the boot. It took me about 3 hours to do the first spring because I needed a little trial and error to get it apart and I wrecked the boot... the other side took about 45 minutes with no damages. OH well lesson learned. Now I am waiting for the new boot so I can actually ride the machine with the new springs. I have the back still to install but I wanted to do an update with just the front springs first....
just make sure you put the boot on correctly and tighten the clamp good to prevent water form getting in.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

Glad to see you went with the EPI springs. I have done the exact same thing and know how fustrating it is. Hope you get it together quick and get out and do some riding.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:51 AM
Pro Rider

I am excited to the ride difference. I am trying to track down a banding tool so i don't have to buy one but we'll see how that goes. I am planning to do a write up once the springs are on. My goal is do ride it after doing just the front and then replace the back and report back again. The hard part is I want to have it all done and I am waiting for the parts for the front and I may end up doing the rear while I'm waiting. Thanks again for all the help with this post and my other one about the rear springs.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCDEYO25
Just to remind you, you will need compressors to do the rears...

John
To take compression off the springs?
I used two ratchet straps on my spring to replace my rear CV boot......
But I had to be very carefull.........Caper.......