Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Slipping Clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 09:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slipping Clutch?

I need some advise here...

I have a 1999 Polaris Scrambler 500 4x4 4Stroke.

If you nail the throttle from a dead stop it feels like something is slipping. Its quite noticeable to me. It does not seem to be "as" bad if you gun it from a dead stop in reverse which I think that is due to the tires being directional and getting less traction in reverse.

Seems that anytime the quad is under a high torque load it slips. The slipping is not a smooth slip like a belt going bad either it's more of a shutter/jolty etc. slip. Almost like a chain jumping teeth on a sprocket although its not my chain...

[Edit] The slipping stops after the quad gets to about 10+ mph; and if you gun it from a "rolling speed" the slipping does not happen (or I cant feel it...)

I am assuming this is a clutch problem?!?!?

Any help would be appreciated thx!

Old 05-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Range Rover

Sounds to me like the silent chain. It looks about like a timing chain and is in the tranny. I had one go in a 2wd trailboss. If the scrambler has one I would say look there. But there are guys here far more knowledgeable than me. TonyT

Old 05-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am a little worried that it may be what delivers power from the driven clutch to the front sprocket but, I am not sure how to tell if this is the problem. Is this where the "silent chain" is located?

Old 05-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

check your secondary button ramps. little brown or white pieces of plastic thats like a buffer between your helix and your sheaves

Old 05-09-2010, 11:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Kerbbirds
check your secondary button ramps. little brown or white pieces of plastic thats like a buffer between your helix and your sheaves
Will it be obvious if they are bad upon inspection?

I have never checked them before.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

yes really obvious they will most likely be worn flat

Old 05-10-2010, 03:56 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

agree w/ kebbird on checking the buttons first. does it bog like it has no power as well?

Trending Topics

Old 05-10-2010, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

Check the buttons like the others said, also if your belt is strectched bad or clutches are dirty you will get belt slipage. If all of that looks good your clutch springs may be getting weak and need to be replaced.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by stendori
agree w/ kebbird on checking the buttons first. does it bog like it has no power as well?
It doesn't seem to be "bogging"... maybe a little low on power.

It will BARELY pull the front wheels off the ground though and I feel it should easier. I really have to throw my weight back to get it to and I weigh ~220lb.

Old 05-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all the replies!

I will check the buttons in the secondary first. (Are the buttons and button ramps the same)

Originally Posted by EPIChad
Check the buttons like the others said, also if your belt is strectched bad or clutches are dirty you will get belt slipage. If all of that looks good your clutch springs may be getting weak and need to be replaced.
Is there a way to no if your clutch springs need replaced other than just replacing them?

Thanks Again.

Quick Reply: Slipping Clutch?