Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

stuttering

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010 | 02:20 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default stuttering

Riding my Polaris 500 (2000) thru a puddle and needing to back up and try again I lost my brakes. They quickly came back but as I start out the bike sort of stutters before finally going. There was also some smoke as I tried to get out of the mud hole. I don't think the brakes are sticking and my friend thinks perhaps I burned my drive belt. I had everything checked at the dealer over the winter and have ridden about a tank of gas since. What does a worn belt feel like and what is the danger of riding with one? Is there a clutch of some sort that could be sticking? After accelerating for a few seconds the shutter goes away but there does seem to be some vibration. I rode it pretty hard for a mile or so to see if whatever may have been sticking would release.
Any thoughts before I head to the dealer?

Tanks!

Old 05-10-2010 | 02:26 PM
Pro Rider

The belt probably just got wet and is slipping. Once the belt dries out hopefully you will be OK. Depending the the year you may have a plastic screw that you can take out of the clutch cover to drain any excessive water. Then just try to run the bike really slow in low until the belt completely dries and begins to grab on the clutch again.....

Old 05-10-2010 | 03:51 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

my guess is you burned your belt as well as got it wet form the puddle maybe. it wouldnt hurt to take your cover off and take a look and maybe even replace the belt ancd clean the clutches. check the clutch buttons as well on the secondary and replace while it's apart if need be. imo

Old 05-10-2010 | 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

Usually if you see blue smoke its belt dust which means you were slipping the belt. Usually if its that bad you will ware a skinny spot in the belt which will slip, shutter, and vibrate. You can normally pull the clutch cover off and inspect belt, look and feel the belt all the way around, you will have to turn the clutches some. If you need a new belt keep your old one for a spare.