Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Less fuel, Less speed? Less RPM?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 09:53 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Less fuel, Less speed? Less RPM?

My fuel tank is getting a bit low, around reserve low. Well with my fuel being this low my RPM is extremely limited now, The throttle only works about half way, and after that there is nothing, just a bunch of free play.

It seems like when I push the throttle all the way in, the motor wants a lot of fuel and it isn't getting it, so of course im limited to the amount of fuel the motor gets hence lowering my speed?

Could this be the fuel pump? Or my Filter? Or is this even the problem?

When I first purchased this ATV the speed was severely limited, and overnight the problem fixed itself and its been nice and fast ever since, till now of course.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider

My guess is the main jet is plugged I`d start with a good carb cleaning.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:09 AM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

Clean out your tank. Sounds like crap in the bottom of the tank. Also clean out the bowl of the carb if it is not fuel injected.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:41 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by weedy
Clean out your tank. Sounds like crap in the bottom of the tank. Also clean out the bowl of the carb if it is not fuel injected.
Yea I can see some card board and some black ring at the bottom of my tank.. How can I get that out without taking apart the whole front end? i'm thinking clothes hanger?

the air filter was half caked in mud, cleaned it off.

The Carb looks clean, took her apart, no chunks, sand, the jet was fine.

I'm guessing its either because the air filter was half caked, or that crap in my Gas tank is cloggin it all.

I'll check out the air filter once its cleaned and dry, and tell ya if that did it.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:45 PM
Range Rover

Buy yourself a set of grabbers. They are a flexable set of fingers. Harbor freight should have them.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:21 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

If your air filter was caked it should be replaced.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:31 PM
Trailblazer

Well i put 5 liters in the tank, just enough to pass the height of the Normal gas setting (as oppose to setting it to Res) and the power was low, she wouldn't accelerate fast. If i pushed on the throttle very slowly and slowly increased her she would start to rev high, but after the 3/4 mark, or 1/2 mark on the throttle she would die back down to a low rev

So i put her on Res, the Res is just a tube that is lower then the normal byt about 2-3 inches. On the res, she has high throttle and just speeds through, but she only did for about 10 mins then the throttle hot weaker over time.

I checked the carb, cleaned it, it seems fine. The throttle cable is fine. The fuel filters are clean as all. The gas tank was cleaned out. The air filter is clean..

I'm guessing the way the fuel pump operates? Not getting enough gas when it needs it thus lowering the overall speed? Its not an electric fuel pump, it has 3 connections, input, output (to carb) and another that is connected from the pump to the other side of the carb.. i'm guessing its something in the carb that operates the pump via pressure?

Once i get around to it, i'm going to fill that 20 liter tank and see if shes got power, if thats the case then..hmm

Old 05-27-2010, 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

what kind of machine is it??????

Old 05-27-2010, 01:52 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Kerbbirds
what kind of machine is it??????
Polaris Xplorer 500, 1997, sorry if i didn't mention it before

Old 05-27-2010, 01:55 PM
Pro Rider

what does your spark plug look like??

Quick Reply: Less fuel, Less speed? Less RPM?