Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

96 sportsman 400L

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 12:40 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 sportsman 400L

I am in the process of tearing my quad all apart to inspect that everything is in working order. I found so far that I need new brakes calipers inner outter tie rods ball joints, and I noticed that my rear Axel is slightly bent on one side. The bearings in the axle seem to be bad so I am going to replace them as well. There is one thing that I am in need of help with, my tail light works fine, but I have no brake light. I replaced the bulb knowing that it probably was not the problem, and it was not. I took a jumper wire and I jumped it off the plug and it does work, but not when I use the brakes. My book says that there is a switch under the gas tank and I can not find it anywhere, could it be something else. Also I have about $400.00 in brakes, calipers, heated grips, tie rod ends etc. I feel that I may be paying too much for the parts, does anyone know of a good site where I can buy parts. It isn't worth putting all this money into, I am afraid I am going to have a grand into it by the time I am done. Also where do you stop? If I am going to be replacing the rear swing arm bushings, rear Axel bearings should I change the chain and sprockets, they are not real bad but are worn. Just need to know when enough is enough. Also the brake light has three wires that I see. a red/white a orange and a brown. i found where the red/white goes into the board but I do not see the orange and brown.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:03 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have plenty of parts for these.May be able to help

Old 06-24-2010, 08:28 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Try ebay for parts after that I like these guys.

OEM motorcycle and ATV parts from Honda, Yamaha & Polaris – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Cheap Cycle Parts

ATV Parts

Also read throught this link,many parts like Tie rod ends, ujoints,oil filters,bearings,thermal switchs can be found just in a auto parts store.
Make a list of common numbers we need

Old 06-24-2010, 09:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

well the next thing that I need to buy is a rear axle mine is bent on one side and the bearing are all shot along with the swing arm bushing. so that is going to be the next investment. other then that I think I may have everything else taken care of. I have the brakes fixed the plug was not even plugged in

Old 06-25-2010, 05:54 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Try for used parts on Ebay, ATVs that age get parted out all the time. use this site to find your part numbers
OEM motorcycle and ATV parts from Honda, Yamaha & Polaris – Cycle Parts Warehouse because many Polaris ATV parts are shared with other Polaris ATVs of different models and years.

So if you see a axle on ebay for a Scrambler,Trail boss ,Magnum or Xplorer just compare the part number with your from the above link.

My cousin just wanted a front bearing and seal for his 2000 Scamber 4x4, he got the whole strut,spring, awd hub assembly and all for $60 off of a parted out 2002 Sportsman.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

This is without a doubt going to save me alot of money, thank you for all the advise.