Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Belt recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 12:31 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Belt recommendations?

Opinions are like A*holes, everybody's got one! So what's your opinion on the best overall belt to buy for an '08 500 Sporty? Polaris/Dayco, EPI, Ultimax, Gates, other? I've been looking at the Goodyear Gatorback (carbon fiber) as an addition to my take-along tool kit supply just in case. (yeah, I've put on over 600 miles mostly hard core solo riding without a spare belt along!) So, as I look to hedge my bets against a long, lonely walk, what''s the best belt for the $$$?

Old 06-25-2010, 02:26 AM
Pro Rider
Post Belt Recomendations?

Originally Posted by toyoman28
Opinions are like A*holes, everybody's got one! So what's your opinion on the best overall belt to buy for an '08 500 Sporty? Polaris/Dayco, EPI, Ultimax, Gates, other? I've been looking at the Goodyear Gatorback (carbon fiber) as an addition to my take-along tool kit supply just in case. (yeah, I've put on over 600 miles mostly hard core solo riding without a spare belt along!) So, as I look to hedge my bets against a long, lonely walk, what''s the best belt for the $$$?
Well toyoman28 with just 600 miles on the factory Polaris belt even though you've stated the 600 miles are mostly hard core riding the factory belt should be just broken in , unless you've swamped it and have gotten the belt wet/muddy from sucking the crap inside the belt housing ; or riding in high gear when you should've been riding in low !

If any of these conditions occured the quad would've gone into the limp mode untill you got it out and drained the belt housing , even then you would've smelt the belt burning i understand why one would like to carry an extra belt just in case you did get a long way from your truck riding alone , as for a replacement i would check the price's on a factory Polaris belt and a GoodYear Gatorback i've heard some Polaris Tech's recommending the Gatorback as being as strong if not stronger that the factory O.E.M. belt ; but i would remove the belt housing cover and check for wear ( sign's of wear) belt dust and glazing inside the belt housing cover and clutch's ( dirt and or mud ) are a sure sign .

There's a video on you tube showing how to change a belt the guy in the video also remove's one of the clutch's just to look for wear/glazing , you don't need to remove the clutch just to change a belt ; best of luck with what ever belt you choose !

williebee......

Old 06-25-2010, 05:16 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

polaris belt all the way

Old 06-25-2010, 06:02 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I tried the Goodyear Gatorback,found it harder and it slipped here and there but I did not leave it on long maybe it justed needed to be broken in,but I returned it and got a OEM belt for the $30 more.not one slip from day one.

I might try Dayco or CARISLE had good luck with them on my Snowmobiles.

Heres a list of aftermarket ATV belts.

https://www.justatv.com/pages/atv_dr.../beltdrive.htm

Old 06-25-2010, 06:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I learned the hard way that oem popo belts are the only way to go. Bought a "heavy duty" aftermarket belt and it shredded with only @ 100 miles on it(was not abused either). Always ran oem since. Been running the oem that came on my 09 800(almost two years now) and it is still in great shape. Pretty good considering it has had two hard Winters of plowing and the 8 inches of lift, clutch kit, and 32" tires I've been running since Spring. Got two spare oem belts off ebay for $25 each that are like new so that is a good place to look for a deal.

Old 06-25-2010, 10:24 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info... Sounds like OEM is the way to go.

Old 06-25-2010, 05:29 PM
'5 minutes worth of planning equals 30 minutes of execution'

OEM Polaris

Old 06-25-2010, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider

OEM Polaris , I was changing my belts every 3000miles but the first two still looked good . I'm not changing the current one thats installed till 5000 miles this time .

Old 06-25-2010, 08:24 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by toyoman28
best results w/ an oem(polaris) belt.

Old 06-25-2010, 08:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

I tried the gatorback belts as well, and didnt care for it. Went back with an OEM belt, and havent had any problems with it at all. I agree, Polaris belts all the way!!