Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

DEAD 2007 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010 | 11:35 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Exclamation DEAD 2007 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI Deluxe

Good Morning,

I am struggling to find the answers for why my quad is essentially NFG.

The back story is this:

Went out for a weekend ride, everything ran fine. Loaded the unit on the trailer and headed out to work, where I use to ATV as well.

Got to work destination, 5+ days later tried to start ATV. It started, ran for a few seconds then died. I tried it a few times, each time it would stall.

1) My first guess was the battery. Purchased a new battery, trickle-charged it - no go. However, after this the speedo would illuminate but it would just flicker and quit. Fuel system charging sound was reduced to a low hum and the clicking sound when key is turned off was not present at all. But, I still had some hope that power was getting at least to the speedo.

2) After battery was found to be good I bought a new solonoid and replaced it. Nothing. I jumped the solonoid and can get the quad to crank but will not fire. I can hear a popping sound, like it is shorting out somewhere in the forward of the engine.

3) Called Polaris service tech - maybe ECM is screwed. I have 2 of the same ATV. Took ECM from bad quad and put it into the "good" one - fired up. Took ECM from good quad and put it into the bad one - nothing.

...now I'm frustrated...quad torn apart....wow.

4) Called Polaris service tech - ahhh, fuses..? Told me to check by the rad, nothing. Called again. Check by the steering column. Something about a fusible link in a plastic pouch on the side of a wiring harness?

Does anyone know anything about the pouch or the fuses and if this could be something related to the problems I've been having?

I would be very appreciative of anyones help. I'm stuck.

I have a feeling the service tech is getting sick of hearing from me or he thinks I'm crazy. Being a girl, I guess I'm hard to take seriously! LOL....!

Any comments are appreciated.

Old 08-05-2010 | 11:53 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Check all connections that may be dirty or loose and look for any shorts bare wires..

Old 08-05-2010 | 06:41 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

didnt you say it's clicking? if so then power (some) is getting through so it should be a fuse issue. sounds like you might be right about a short or dead ground out some where.

Old 08-05-2010 | 07:10 PM
Trailblazer

Listen to the relays. Sounds like a coil going bad.