Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

At the end of my rope and need help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 08:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default At the end of my rope and need help.

So I got a polaris explorer and it had a fuel leak (stunk up the whole garage). Took it to the local shop and paid to have the carb cleaned. They cleaned the carb changed the oil and supposedly got it in top shape. Took it home and gave it a ride. It bogged down easily and the next morning found that it still leaked fuel (a nice puddle on the garage floor). Called them and they said bring it on back. So I did. They said it was a part in the carb that was worn and they changed it out. Picked it up today. Got it home and it started bogging down from the start (could hardly get it out of the truck bed). Got about a half mile from home and it flat out quit on me. I could crank it only if I held down the throttle. It would allow no idle at all. So now it sits in the back of my truck (my buddy helped me push it on) ready to go back to Cycleworks for a third time. I'm actually scared to take it to them. It's gotten worse each time I've gotten it back. Your advice as to how to approach the matter with them would be helpful. I don't want to be the jerk but I want it done right.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by dawgsfan
So I got a polaris explorer and it had a fuel leak (stunk up the whole garage). Took it to the local shop and paid to have the carb cleaned. They cleaned the carb changed the oil and supposedly got it in top shape. Took it home and gave it a ride. It bogged down easily and the next morning found that it still leaked fuel (a nice puddle on the garage floor). Called them and they said bring it on back. So I did. They said it was a part in the carb that was worn and they changed it out. Picked it up today. Got it home and it started bogging down from the start (could hardly get it out of the truck bed). Got about a half mile from home and it flat out quit on me. I could crank it only if I held down the throttle. It would allow no idle at all. So now it sits in the back of my truck (my buddy helped me push it on) ready to go back to Cycleworks for a third time. I'm actually scared to take it to them. It's gotten worse each time I've gotten it back. Your advice as to how to approach the matter with them would be helpful. I don't want to be the jerk but I want it done right.
Dawg....Did you verify the fuel filter was not clogged? Might be an issue with ethanol fuel if it's an older machine. Ethanol can eat the guts from older equipment. Might need to rebuild the carb with a kit from Polaris.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:51 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

is it a fuel line leaking or maybe the flaot is sticking not shutting off the gas and flooding it? how does it run in netural, free reving or bogs out as before. oh and assuming your bike is a 2 stroke xplorer, there is no oil to change in the engine, so what did they change? is this a 3 or 400 ?

Old 08-15-2010, 07:42 AM
Trailblazer

Well I called first thing Friday and made a fuss. They took it back in and called me to pick it up later that day. They said it was a "pinched" oil line?? going into the carb. They also replaced the spark plug (which they had replaced the first time). I took it out to the land yeasterday and it ran solid. HOWEVER, on first crank it acts choked down and takes a second to get into a steady idle. Once there it's fine. Also, before I took it in after riding it for say 4 or 5 min. and shut down the fan would come on. I ran it half the day yeasterday and no fan??? Called them and they said it would have to reach a certan temp for the fan to work. Odd to me.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:04 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Yes the fan comes on only when it needs to,if the red high temp light and no coolant is boiling over your fine.

What kind of Xplorer is it? 4 stroke or the 400 2 stroke.

Old 08-15-2010, 01:38 PM
Trailblazer

300 two stroke. A friend said it could be running cooler now that the carb is cleaned and it's getting a better supply of oil mix to the engine.???

Old 08-16-2010, 01:26 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i don't beleave thats even a liquid cooled bike and the fan is to help the oil cooler i think?