Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need suggestion/Ideas...How to Fix/Repair Cracked Plastic Rear Fender Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 06:05 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need suggestion/Ideas...How to Fix/Repair Cracked Plastic Rear Fender Mounts

I have a 2006 Polaris Sportsman 450 4x4 that I just bought a month ago with only 400 miles on it.

Yesterday I had 4 new Maxxis Biirhorn 1s put on because of a 1" diameter stob in my factory RR tire.

I removed the seat to check my air filter & I noticed that the Rear Fender Assembly is broken on both sides. It's where the very top/front bolts fasten the fender to the frame. The exhaust runs right under the right side, it has a silver heat shield on the bottom/back side. The small bolts are only holding a small corner of the plastic fenders down to the frame & it's cracked all the way thru around these bolts.

This problem is causing the front of my seat to sag down leaving a large gap where the front of the seat goes up on the gas tank. Also the right side plate doesn't fit right at all & the push thru plastic stud on the right side plate won't match up with the hole in the rear fender assembly, thus causing the groove around the top of the right-sideplate to not fit tightly around the top. It just sorta hangs there, but it hasn't fallen off, YET. My four-wheeler has never been wrecked or even ridden thru any mud or brush. There not a scratch on it anywhere & as of right now, I has about 600 miles on it.

Is there anyway I can fix these small cracks on each side.without having to buy a whole new rear fender assembly??? I really don't see why a new fender assembly wouldn't crack also.

I need all the suggestions & ideas I can get. It seems to me that there would be some sort of plastic repair & some way of bracing it up to solve this problem.

If I need to post some pictures, I'll try. I've never posted any pictures before.

Thanks in advance for any replies I recieve.

Old 09-09-2010, 07:26 AM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the pressure of them and use some good two part epoxy mix.....Hardener and Resin.........Some come in the tube already and will mix in equal amounts when ejected out........Caper..

I noticed on my two Sp 450's under the seat there is small cracks in the Black plastic since day one.........Did not check for awhile to see if they got worse........