Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Min. voltage on 500 EFI's for starting?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
So on a camping trip I left a key on or light on overnight (Don it) on a EFI model your just stuck out in the bush? Kinda defeats the purpose of a 500 having a pull start back up at all.
I just found some info regarding this situation. The EFI's according to my service manual. Require a Min. 7 volts for the PDM to function, without it your pretty much screwed. It states in my owners manual that, If the battery is to weak to use the key start the vehicle can still be started via auxiliary pull start. (The 800's should have had something IMO) So, to me it sounds like you could pull start the bike as long as you didn't have a completely dead battery. I'd really rather not have to try this theory though. As for my problem? The key start is working like a champ again so I'll just have to wait and see if it ever happens again and then do some probing to find the problem. I'm leaning toward the solenoid sticking, or a starter motor issue, but who knows?

Old 09-14-2010, 07:58 PM
Pro Rider

Your starter brushes are starting to go bad. Or if your quad sits a lot they could have just been stuck.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by Overdrive
Your starter brushes are starting to go bad. Or if your quad sits a lot they could have just been stuck.
If the brushes are going bad, thats a bunch of BS. Bike only has 90 hr and 800 mi. And it rarely sits for more than a week at a time. Could be though. Guess I'll find out sooner or later.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

Normaly they last a long time but yours could have been stuck that one time. If this ever happens again peck on the end of the starter with something and see if it starts.

Old 09-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Trailblazer
Default Check starter solenoid

I had this same problem, fully charge battery, just a clicking when i turned the key. Started fine with pull start, it was the starter solenoid. If I remember correctly, was covered under warranty.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:40 PM

Well it finally acted up again. I'm pretty sure its a starter issue. Tapping on the starter corrected the problem. Has anyone had any luck with aftermarket starters off of ebay or a quality rebuild kit.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:49 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I had that , it turned out to just be a sticky brush, I took the starter apart and cleaned and lubed the brush and its been working great for 3 years now. I would love to know how many starter were tossed over just a sticky brush.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:20 PM

Yep. I'll pull the starter and go through it first to see if that does the trick. I'll use electrical contact cleaner on the whole thing and re-lube. What is best for re-lubing the components. If all else fails, Who carries a good kit or I might just try these guys for the price Starters, Alternators and more for Cars, Trucks, Tractors and ATVs

Old 09-22-2010, 04:58 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

I just clean the bush with brake cleaner spray,then lubed the bush with silicon spay. DW-40 would of worked also.

It was just a tiny amount of corrosion from moisture causing the brush to stick and not slide in its slot,the brush was still in perfect condition, no kit needed.

Also take the starter out from the top by removing the air box, much easier than the manuals method of removing the two clutches and back plate.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by TLC
I just clean the bush with brake cleaner spray,then lubed the bush with silicon spay. DW-40 would of worked also.

Also take the starter out from the top by removing the air box, much easier than the manuals method of removing the two clutches and back plate.
No doubt! I was looking it over and was hoping like hell I can get it out without removing all that stuff. On a side note regarding the use of WD-40, Don't use it on electrical!!! Our lube salesman informed me that WD-40 is actually a water dispersant hence WD and it works very well for freeing up sticky or rusted parts. But! After it has dried up the residue left behind will draw moisture. I had a hard time wrapping my head around it but he showed me proof. He suggested always use a silicon spray or silicon grease to keep things lubed especially on electrical components. I have to believe him on this since we get a vast array of products from him including the good ole WD-40 by the gallons. Who-da thunk?

Quick Reply: Min. voltage on 500 EFI's for starting?