Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Min. voltage on 500 EFI's for starting?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Min. voltage on 500 EFI's for starting?

So Friday I was using the blade to grade out the drive with some fresh stone and was working the winch pretty good. All done, I parked the quad and thought nothing about the battery being drained down. Today (sunday) went to start it and the solenoid would just click. Immediately I checked voltage and was at 12.0volts which I know is a little low. Pull started it no problem and putting out 14.2-14.5volts at the battery. Would a slightly low battery cause a no start issue on a EFI? After riding for about 4 hours I rechecked the battery and is charged at 12.8 and key starts no problem now. Just curious about this because the 02 magnum will at least attempt to turn over regardless the batt. voltage. I thought I read some where that the EFI's require a minimum voltage to start.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Yes the efi machines need to have between 12.5-12.8 to work properly. The old non efi machines could start basically on a dead battery with the pull start! Same thing on the last of the 2003 watercraft we sold! If battery was 12 volts or below they wouldn't start! They would turn over,but wouldn't generate spark (hall effect). OPT

Old 09-12-2010, 07:31 PM

If battery was 12 volts or below they wouldn't start! They would turn over,but wouldn't generate spark (hall effect). OPT[/QUOTE]

This has me puzzled. I had 12.0 volts (measured with my fluke)but it wouldn't even turn over. Just clicking from the solenoid. I even tried jumping the solenoid and nothing. And yet after the batt. recharged it seems fine so far. Intermittent solenoid problem???

Old 09-12-2010, 11:02 PM

my sportsman has started for years at 12.2 no problem. im thinking the dealer quick charged the battery because we bought it out of the cratwe and i could never get it much higher... starts great with the electric start

Old 09-13-2010, 02:13 AM
Range Rover

My Honda CBR1100xx which is fuel injected would run with about 9 volts & push starting it

Old 09-13-2010, 02:28 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

some of the newer efi bikes do have a hard time starting at or below 12 volts i have seen. i would think it might turn over a little though before it woul click. chrck connections to be double sure. imo

Old 09-13-2010, 07:00 AM

I'll go back and recheck connections, but every thing seemed tight and clean. Of course I was in a hurry since the guy's were waiting to hit the trails. I have a hard time believing the voltage was to low to at least turn over the starter though. May have been a fluke?

Old 09-13-2010, 09:46 AM

I'm at a loss! I checked and rechecked all connections and all is good. I also deliberately ran down the battery to 11.5 volts and it will still start now. I can jump the solenoid and it will turn over now. WTF! I know I should just let it go, but in my mind somethings not right and it will eventually happen again. It was as if there was power to the solenoid and you could hear it clicking and jumping it would not do anything either. I'm beginning to wonder if a dead spot in the starter motor would produce these results. Anybody have any thoughts.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:30 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Yes the efi machines need to have between 12.5-12.8 to work properly. The old non efi machines could start basically on a dead battery with the pull start! Same thing on the last of the 2003 watercraft we sold! If battery was 12 volts or below they wouldn't start! They would turn over,but wouldn't generate spark (hall effect). OPT
So on a camping trip I left a key on or light on overnight (Don it) on a EFI model your just stuck out in the bush? Kinda defeats the purpose of a 500 having a pull start back up at all.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most people don't know how to pull start these EFI bikes. You should be able to, though, check the owners manual.

Quick Reply: Min. voltage on 500 EFI's for starting?