Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2011 Sportsman XP Touring

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 10:08 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuji/Subaru have been building/designing engines a lot longer than Polaris!
Polaris only makes there 2 strokes motors I think.

Webber Motors makes Polaris's Twin 4 strokes at least they do on there sleds and PWC.

Weber Motor: References

They make the Polaris Switchback 750 twin 4 stroke. 2009 Polaris Turbo Switchback Review

It makes 85hp raw and 140hp with turbo assist added on.

It will never see a ATV,there would be to many law suits. 100 mph ATVs is just not a good idea. LOL

Old 11-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by biz4two
Hi RickCJ7...

Thanks for the info!

But...why you say the 550 is better than the 850? Very interesting...

I figured the spring rates would be stiffer, but really hope they are not so stiff to tackle those mountain trails I enjoy riding. I will ride at 60 percent alone. So...don't want to get shaken off the trail. GRIN

Any other 2 up Owner's out there??? Would appreciate your view on ride with and without a passenger.

Regards,
biz

I don't have an XP touring; just a regular Sportsman touring... The ride is very smooth with or without a passenger. You have nothing to be concerned about.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

I bought a 2010 850 touring this past summer and beleive that all you worries will be gone once you sit on the bike and feel the power.I too spend most time riding as one up and with a quick turn of the wrench one way or the other the springs are perfectly set.The power steering is excellent for the smaller people for turning in tight areas and I figured it would be a problem once it got in the water,but so far so good.
One up or two up I think your getting the best ride possible.
The bike works great as a workhorse, trail machince or an all out mud runner. I enjoy all of the above riding and just used my winch for the first time the other day.

Comfort,power and reliable

Old 11-14-2010, 08:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Fuel tank could be larger to help stop the refueling but for something putting out this kinda fun a stop once and awhile is ok

Old 11-14-2010, 08:22 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

That is crazy when a 850 touring has a small 4.5 tank like a 300 Sportsman and smaller tank than a XP550 (5.25). In sleds, the touring models get larger tanks because guess what? Some people actually tour with them and there's no gas stations on the "loooooooong" trails

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/en...=143257&go2=Go

Old 11-14-2010, 08:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

running at low speed it seems to eat the gas up if you don't put it in low in high on the open roads you can run at 60 mph for 70 to 80 miles and that's about it.The 2011's are supposed to have a larger tank but I'm not sure

Old 11-14-2010, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ellis_dave
I bought a 2010 850 touring this past summer and beleive that all you worries will be gone once you sit on the bike and feel the power.I too spend most time riding as one up and with a quick turn of the wrench one way or the other the springs are perfectly set.The power steering is excellent for the smaller people for turning in tight areas and I figured it would be a problem once it got in the water,but so far so good.
One up or two up I think your getting the best ride possible.
The bike works great as a workhorse, trail machince or an all out mud runner. I enjoy all of the above riding and just used my winch for the first time the other day.

Comfort,power and reliable
Good to hear!...ellis_dave...

PLUS...not really worried between the 850 and 550 machines. I'm sure they will both offer stealer reliability and performance.

Thanks all for the responses...NOW just need to get my '09 XP sold. IMO...never a fun thing...because I so like the machine.

Thanks again!

biz

Old 11-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow

Originally Posted by ellis_dave
running at low speed it seems to eat the gas up if you don't put it in low in high on the open roads you can run at 60 mph for 70 to 80 miles and that's about it.The 2011's are supposed to have a larger tank but I'm not sure
YES...the 2011's do have the larger fuel tank that came out on the non-eps machines. So...they are now 5.25 gallons.

I also understand that they went away from the 4 wheel brake system on the 2011 Touring models. They now have 2 brakes up front...and only 1 in the rear. Can anyone confirm this? PLUS...why would they do that???

biz

Old 11-14-2010, 10:53 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

They now have 2 brakes up front...and only 1 in the rear. Can anyone confirm this? PLUS...why would they do that???
My guess, most braking is 60% front and 40% rear , why have two calipers and 4 sets of pads in the rear if its not necessary.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

I know on my 2010 if I use the back brakes it will lock the tires and drag them down the road not a real good set up, but with the hand brake it hits all four and stops you in a quarter the distance to me it works great maybe they got rid off the extra back break to get out of the skidding when using the rear .

Quick Reply: 2011 Sportsman XP Touring