Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

500 Oil Change Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 500 Oil Change Question

Hi All,

I was just curious...but WHY did Polaris go with an Oil Tank on the 500's?

Seems like a lot of hassle to drain both oil tank and crank case?!? Plus that screen fitting too.

Just curious...and sorry if the question has been asked before...but the search did not find what I was after.

Thanks!

biz

Old 11-23-2010, 12:17 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, they have always had an oil tank on the 500, ive personally never cleaned the screen, just dumped the oil out of the tank and out of the case

Old 11-23-2010, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider
Arrow

Sorry...but I had to edit the original post...and add the WHY? Oops...it was a fat-finger!

Thanks!

biz

Old 11-23-2010, 09:19 AM
Pro Rider

Hassle you have to remove two bolts what dam hassle takes all of 5 minutes .

Old 11-23-2010, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider
Arrow Why???

Originally Posted by Spdecat
Hassle you have to remove two bolts what dam hassle takes all of 5 minutes .

Actually...that isn't very accurate. Its two bolts...and the oil screen fitting also. Plus...purging the air from the line after changing the oil. Not saying it to be hard...just curious WHY?

Do you have any facts to offer to the discussion of WHY? I'd like to hear them...because I am curious about the setup.

As you can tell...I have never owned a SP 500...so just trying to educate myself.

Thanks,
biz

Old 11-23-2010, 09:08 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

[QUOTE=biz4two;2978977]Hi All,

I can't honestly say why, and never cared but here's a couple theory's since no one here has answered . 1: an external oil tank may help minimize the engine's dimensions? 2: Perhaps having the tank external aids in keeping the oil at a cooler running temp? 3: It was designed by the Japanese, I think? 4: It was designed by the Japanese, I think? My best guess would be theory 2 since my 325 is an air cooled and yet it has a oil cooler similar to a radiator. But that makes me wonder why don't other brand name (like honda for example) air cooled engines do this? Maybe it's just a Polaris thing?

Old 11-23-2010, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

An oil pan type may not be as efficient at the odd angles the engine may be in...? Are aircraft engines of this type?......not really sure myself.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

Hi All,

Seems like a lot of hassle to drain both oil tank and crank case?!? Plus that screen fitting too.

Just curious...and sorry if the question has been asked before...but the search did not find what I was after.

Thanks!
These engines have what is called a "dry sump." This means the bulk of the oil is stored in a tank instead of the crank case.

Most high end race engines have this type of oiling system.

There are advantages to using a dry sump system. One is HP. It takes a bunch of HP to spin a crank through oil. If most of the oil is in a tank and not nex to the crank your going to pick up a bunch of HP.

Another is CG. On a race car the lower you can get the weight the better handling you will get. With a dry sump, you can run a flat pan and move the engine down in the chassie and get the CG way down. I wish I could run a dry sump in the car I race but the rules say no.

Anyway, there are more advantages to a dry sump. Google is your best friend.

Old 11-24-2010, 05:17 AM
Range Rover

I doubt that the HP gains in a 38 HP ATV from a dry sump are significant, but I suppose there is something there.

I'm of the believe, and always did believe that Polaris did this for the CG. However, when they went to the plastic tank... that was too far. Ask anyone who has put a stick through one, or had a rock crack the case. Not only did Polaris save money with the plastic case, they made money by selling replacements.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:02 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by biz4two
Actually...that isn't very accurate. Its two bolts...and the oil screen fitting also. Plus...purging the air from the line after changing the oil. Not saying it to be hard...just curious WHY?

Do you have any facts to offer to the discussion of WHY? I'd like to hear them...because I am curious about the setup.

As you can tell...I have never owned a SP 500...so just trying to educate myself.

Thanks,
biz

Oil screen fitting that needs cleaned I'v never cleaned mine in 9000 miles I plan on keeping the quad for 20,000 miles and I'll never clean that screen .

Quick Reply: 500 Oil Change Question