Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Reliability of Scramblers

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2001, 05:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep in mind Polaris fixed almost all these problems in the 2001 models. The brakes, tie rods, and steering rod/bushing were all improved

Old 03-08-2001, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

Whats with the warped trans cases? I think I've got one. My Scrambler is only a couple of weeks old and it has leaked a bit of trans oil in the floor already. As for everything else I think the reliability has more to do with the owner operator than the equipment. If your gonna ride em hard you've got to do good maintainance, thats the bottom line as far as I'm concerned. I had my Trail Blazer for about a year and a half, rode it very hard, but kept it maintained very well and had zero problems.

Old 03-08-2001, 06:32 PM
Range Rover

Ive sh-- kicked mine but always maintain it and thats the life you'll be into. There isnt alot out there that goes in severe rough and muds like the scramblers.They do have weak steering post's but are easily rectified.I fried a belt last week but will be changing it to a Goodyear because I changed the spring settings and big rear tires in deep snow so its somwhat acceptable.The motors are indestructable running on 100% synthetic. this they can do because of a pre unit transmission plus there liquid cooled Im not a belt fan and would prefer a transmission but they do work great.
Matt
2000 500 Scrambler

Old 03-08-2001, 08:33 PM
Range Rover

I will tell you what I have owned mine for over a year and have not takin pitty on it what so ever the motors are bullet proof the only thing that has happened to me was so trivial I do not even consider it a problem...I was out when i forst got it way up on a mountian and my chain snapped because of a faulty casted front sprocket which in no way polaris's fault some times a casting gets some dirt or such in it which causes it to be week anyways I was 20 miles from home when this happened and thought oh no what a walk i have ahead of me.......then it dawned on me flip the AWD drive swicth and drove home with front wheel drive......You should have seen some of the looks I was getting goin through mud roostin just the front tires..lol it was hard on the arms drivin all that way with just the front wheels pullin but better than walkin home. So my ATV has never failed to get me back home and that is all I can ask of it.

Have a good one

Old 03-08-2001, 08:47 PM
Trailblazer

My wife and I have matching 99 Scrambler 500s, except that mine has a speedometer and hers has the fender extenders. Mine has been upside down three times and up against trees and rocks more times than I can count. My wife’s has had a little easier life, but has about the same amount of miles (about 1000). I have replaced my chain and belt once. I lube and change oil and filter about every third ride.

Both quads start in very cold weather and will climb up anything I am brave enough to tackle. (The limit here is mine, not the quad’s.)

After owning 3 Kawasakis, 3 Yamahas and a Honda, I have to say that these Scramblers have required far less attention and been less trouble than any of the others.

I guess some folks have had reliability problems, but it looks like they are mostly problems related to very rough riding. I suspect with that kind of treatment you would have problems with any brand of quad.

Old 03-09-2001, 11:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

where did you get the fender extenders!
Thanks!