Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Suspension on magnum and sportsman.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2001, 11:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the spotsman's suspention acutaully work that much better than a magnum's for slow rides. And does the magnum suspesion actually work that much better in fast corners. I also heard something about a stabalizer bar on the sportsman suspension making it less independent and better in corners, whats up with that.And last does anyone know if they are gonna make the magnum an H.O. won't that be awsome be able to tow a tank and then do high speed trail rides when its done!!

Old 03-08-2001, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider

Its not only that the SP has IRS suspension on the back but also it has 9.5" of travel compared to the Magnums 6.5 which helps it get a smoother rire.I do not know if the H.O motor would be a good idea on the Magnum because of the much smaller gas tank which would cut down on it riding range beside the Magnum can do 55 mph anyways which is already a quick trail ride.

Old 03-10-2001, 09:24 PM
Pro Rider

I know I'd be more likely to buy a Magnum if it had the HO motor in it. Then if they could shave off 70 pounds or so to bring it more in line with the other 500's available.

I really don't know why Polaris quads have to be SOOOO heavy. It's too bad, I kind of like the style and comfort level, but I don't think I could ever live with a quad as heavy as a four-stroke Polaris

Old 03-11-2001, 03:08 PM
Pro Rider

I, too would like a Magnum HO. I wouldn't think the range would be that much less than a non-HO model as long as you didn't bury your thumb in it all the time.
One reason the Sportsman became an HO was because the Magnums could outrun them. My brother-in-law has one of each, and the Magnum will win almost any kind of race out in the open. Not only is it a little lighter, but it seems geared slightly higher when in high, and maybe is even lower in low.

Drive one around for a while (Magnum) and you won't notice the weight. The steering has been lightened up for '01, which, when combined with decent power, and excellent brakes makes for a better handling machine than the numbers would indicate. Ditto the '01 Sportsman.

Old 03-11-2001, 06:54 PM
Pro Rider

On the trail you probably wouldn't notice the weight that much. It is definatly a nice riding machine and I almost bought one before I settled on the Wolverine.

Off the trail, though, you'll notice the weight sure $hit. Sat. we were out for a ride in the snow (Wolverine, 450ES, Rubicon) and the Wolverine was clearly and without a doubt outclimbing the others, due to it's much lighter weight. It was noticeable in the ruts we were leaving as we tried to climb as well. The Wolverine with 25" tires was way better on that day. We've been out in other conditions and the Rubicon would out climb the Wolverine, mostly because of slightly better ground clearance and the auto-tranny (which can be a huge advantage I'll admit).

I've noticed it in summer as well. Out with friends on a Grizz and an Xplorer 500 I could cross bogs and hardly leave a track. They would sink like stones and need to be winched out. Both of them were amazed. "You went across so easily I thought it must be hard as rock"

Sure there are situations when weight is not really a factor, but there are lots of other situations when weight can make or break you.

Old 03-12-2001, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider

I ride my dads 500 Suzuki and it is 100lbs lighter than my SP and I can not tell the differance in fact because the suspension the sp feels like it ride lighter than the Suzuki over the rough stuff.I think it is like this,600lbs or 700lbs it does not matter there both pigs and are to heavy to throw around and a 600lb bike will sink as fast as a 700lb will.A Wolverine is a different story because it is the lightest 4x4 made(under 500lbs) but once you are on a machine that is over 600lbs it is just a tank.

If you go the prom with a 300lb date and I go to the same prom with a 400lb date,it does not matter we are both in for a bad bad night.

Old 03-13-2001, 09:41 AM
Pro Rider

I have owned and ridden many different machines, light and heavy, and its true that nothing even comes close to the SP500 for cushy ride. When we go on long rides the ladies usually end up rideing the Sportsmans by the end of the day. To the point that when it came time to buy a 4 weeler for my wife she demanded that it be "one of the good ones" as she put it. Before i rode one i just assumed that it was a sales gimick and a way for them to raise the price of the machine but its not. I find it hard to believe that anyone can actually ride one for more that 10 minutes and think its not better than a Straight axel. Yes its very heavy and from lookin at it you would think "Tractor" but nothing out there has a cushey ride that good. The guys on the Sportsmans are always the ones at the end of the day sayin "Come on, lets go just a little further"

Old 03-13-2001, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

Next to the Sportsman and before the Magnum comes the Xplorer. With its 9" of travel in the rear it definaitly has a cushier ride than the Magnum. I owned a 98 SP500 before my Xplorers, it took a couple hundred miles of riding to not miss the cushy Sportsman's ride. When it cames to cornering and flat out acceleration the sportsman is left in the dust!
I noticed in more than once last year , the fact that with the lighter weight of the Xplorer I was able to float over and not cut into the floating bog that buried my buddies on there Sportsmans! So there is some truth to the lighter is better theory. The instant wheell speed of the Xplorer has also gotten me out of trouble more than once and is really nice to know it is there if needed!

Old 03-14-2001, 07:49 PM
Trailblazer

Hey man,

I hadn't heard anything about this. where did you get this info. Tell me more about it. I've ridden a magnum and it didn't seem very different. cya later

Old 03-14-2001, 08:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

I think that is a tough one. It all depends o the riding you do. In my opinion the Magnum may be better on the trail due to the solid rear axle and the ride seems very nice( my brother has one)
But for the rough stuff and rock hopping the added clearance the sportsman has would be nice. I think Both quads are awesome machines, I've ridden both and really don't have a preforance

Quick Reply: Suspension on magnum and sportsman.