Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris reliability

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 07:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default polaris reliability

why does everyone down polaris for reliaibility? I can't speak for the outlaws because i haven't rode one but my dad used to own a sportsman 500 (forgot what year) a long time ago and we put it through heck and it never messed up once.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:35 PM
Trailblazer

I think Polaris ATV`s are good machines, even though Polaris seems to cut corners in some areas. Like using plastic steering bushings at the top of the steering stem on the newer machines, and deleting one of the rear brakes on the newer machines. We have four Polaris ATV`s and have never had any real problems with any of them, just a few minor things here and there. No matter what brand of ATV you buy there is going to be a certain percentage of machines that have problems, and there are always going to be people that like one brand over another, but as far as reliability goes i think polaris is one of the best ATV`s out there.

Old 12-16-2010, 07:38 PM
Trailblazer

i agree with you

Old 12-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ghost Rider 11
I think Polaris ATV`s are good machines, even though Polaris seems to cut corners in some areas. Like using plastic steering bushings at the top of the steering stem on the newer machines, and deleting one of the rear brakes on the newer machines. We have four Polaris ATV`s and have never had any real problems with any of them, just a few minor things here and there. No matter what brand of ATV you buy there is going to be a certain percentage of machines that have problems, and there are always going to be people that like one brand over another, but as far as reliability goes i think polaris is one of the best ATV`s out there.
Yes they are going down hill alot. Don't forget the Bad ECM (power Modules) and Plastic rollor cage in the front on the newer ones.

As for the rear brakes...It only needs one ....The rear axle along with the both back wheels are always lock together. one wheel will never spin just on it's own.
Caper.....

Old 12-16-2010, 09:18 PM
Trailblazer

As for the rear brakes...It only needs one ....The rear axle along with the both back wheels are always lock together. one wheel will never spin just on it's own.
Caper.....[/quote]

That`s true, but having two brakes on the rear would improve the stopping power quite a bit. Don`t the two up models come with two rear brakes ?.

Old 12-16-2010, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghost Rider 11
Don`t the two up models come with two rear brakes ?.
My friends '11 top of the line 850 EPS touring only has one rear brake caliper and the upper steering shaft started rattling on his first ride.

2 brake calipers are better than one.

Old 12-16-2010, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have always been happy with polaris and they have been put through the a lot with me.

Old 12-16-2010, 11:17 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been beating up, I mean riding, Polaris since '97 and they've all been pretty good. I did have a rear a-arm break on the oldest one after I was jumping with it. I broke a bolt on another one. Never had an engine problem with any of them. There are a bunch of haters who like their brand better, but most of them have never owned a Polaris.

Old 12-17-2010, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Have over 2600 miles on mine. The one and only problem was the cylinder for the rear brake pedal seized. The mechanic said that it wouldn't cause the rear brakes to stay on so I've left it alone. May get it fixed some day.

Old 12-17-2010, 10:18 AM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
I've been beating up, I mean riding, Polaris since '97 and they've all been pretty good. I did have a rear a-arm break on the oldest one after I was jumping with it. I broke a bolt on another one. Never had an engine problem with any of them. There are a bunch of haters who like their brand better, but most of them have never owned a Polaris.
Thats right. "If you don't own it, DIS IT."

Quick Reply: polaris reliability