Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

polaris reliability

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 06:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lovmudd
Coming from motorcycles I have a hard time forcing myself to use the hand brake.
Hard to do front wheel wheelies, if you don't learn how to use the front brake on a motorcycle. I thought the rear brake only, was just for laying it down on it's side![/quote]

Sorry. To be more specific, I ride Dual Sport/ off road bike. Lots of desert sand and off road trails.

Old 12-20-2010, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by x2 bum
Hard to do front wheel wheelies, if you don't learn how to use the front brake on a motorcycle. I thought the rear brake only, was just for laying it down on it's side!
Sorry. To be more specific, I ride Dual Sport/ off road bike. Lots of desert sand and off road trails.[/QUOTE]

Cool, that sounds like big time fun. Keep er sunny side up and be safe.

Old 12-20-2010, 08:45 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The foot brake is an emergency brake in case the hand brake fails. I've checked mine to see if it works but never use it when I ride.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:27 AM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is correct........The handlebar lever is the proper one to use.......Applies to all three wheels evenly....Caper.....

Old 12-21-2010, 10:24 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

The Polaris system applies 60% front and 40% rear with a squeeze of the leaver. Its really what you would want even if it had separate font and rear brake controls.
The rear foot brake is really for a back up, but it can lock the back wheels on its own.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by TLC
The Polaris system applies 60% front and 40% rear with a squeeze of the leaver. Its really what you would want even if it had separate font and rear brake controls.
The rear foot brake is really for a back up, but it can lock the back wheels on its own.
Well to test when the rear really works, I did hit the rear hard and guess what - actually the left tire locked more than the right and the machine pulled to the left - was a 0.5sec thing on concrete so no probs but... does it not confirm that the solid axle is not really solid, the free plays inside make the left tire lock faster than the right? I must test further when the rain stops, i.e. probably in February... but common sense says caliper on wheel is the best...not for locking the tire but for uniform braking... if Polaris reintroduces brakes on all wheels in future models I wont be happy...

A bit of slip on rear - manageable - on front = death. On m'cycle you decide how the brake is applied... oh well... why didnt they make the controls just like on a motorbike BTW?!? I shoudl have ridden one before I bought lol...

Old 12-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by advarp
. but common sense says caliper on wheel is the best...not for locking the tire but for uniform braking... if Polaris reintroduces brakes on all wheels in future models I wont be happy...
So you have confused me. You wont be happy if they go back to four wheel brakes because it would give you uniform braking?

Old 12-21-2010, 07:42 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Well to test when the rear really works, I did hit the rear hard and guess what - actually the left tire locked more than the right and the machine pulled to the left - was a 0.5sec thing on concrete so no probs but... does it not confirm that the solid axle is not really solid, the free plays inside make the left tire lock faster than the right?
Not a good sign, the two rear wheels are 100% in synchronization. The only time a ATVs (any atv) two back wheels are not in sync is if there is a internal problem in the tranny or diff or the ATV has "Turf mode" which causes the rear wheels to act as a limited slip like the front two wheels for people with manicured lawns.

Thats why 99% of ATVs only have one rear brake that is not even mounted in the center of the two wheels,but tucked inside one of the two wheel rims. The Sportsmans mounts the brake beside the tranny.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:50 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally Posted by x2 bum
So you have confused me. You wont be happy if they go back to four wheel brakes because it would give you uniform braking?
Two brakes in the bake for me,would just mean double the mechanic, two brake lines double the brake pads.

Even Performance racing ATVs only have one back brake,and braking is handy on a race track.