Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2001 trailboss wont start, fuel issue, fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 trailboss wont start, fuel issue, fuel pump?

Cant get my trailboss to start, it has been sitting around for a while.

Removed the spark plug and it seemed real dry

I removed the fuel line from the carb and there does not seem to be any fuel coming out when I crank it

Tried fuel switch in ON and RESERVE.

Found an inline fuel filter near the pump. I can blow through it both ways. If I blow real hard, it wont allow air though. cleaned it the best I could. i didnt have the right nozzle to put on the air compressor

Put it back in in the same direction it was in before (machine ran for over a year before this) but the way I was tracing the hoses, it seemed in backwards. tried both ways

Then I found the fuel pump. I disconnected the hose going back to the engine and when I cranked, there was air pressure.

I disconnected both of the other hoses, one at a time and no fuel came out.

All i can think is the pump is broken

I was going to take the pump apart but decided to hold off

Am I on the right track or am I way off base?

help?

Sucks, its snowing, schools,work etc is closed and everyone is out on 4 wheelers

Old 01-10-2011, 04:23 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the filter should have an arrow on it for the direction of the flow. is gas getting down to the fuel pump form the tank? the pump should have a vacuum line coming form the engine to make it work. you could cheat and dump a little gas in the spark plug hole to start the bike w/ everything hooked up right and it might be enough to self prime the fuel pum again. just an idea.

Old 01-10-2011, 05:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I remember right, the fuel goes to the selection **** (ON, RES), then one line goes to the pump, then to the carb.

I forget now but I think the filter was on the line from the selection **** to the pump, but the arrow was facing towards the ****. Didnt make sense to me as the fuel should be flowing from the **** to the pump

I can take another look tomorrow

I tried starter fluid and couldn't get it going. That's when I decided to start looking at the fuel system

Does the line from the engine create a vacuum or apply pressure? will it suck fuel from the tank? or does it pressurize the fuel to the carb?