Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

XP Diming Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 02:11 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XP Diming Headlights

So my question is does anybody else headlights dim at random on their 550/850XP?

For the past few weeks I have been out plowing snow on my 850XP during the evening hours which is dark out this time of year. In the past I've noticed my headlights would when activating the winch to raise or lower the plow. Makes sense there a draw the electrical system at that point. However now I'm noticing that when I'm at cruising speed around 25 to 30mph going from one spot to the next my headlights will dim for a second or so, just enough to notice a lighting difference on the road and surrounding snow. Obviously I'm not raising or lowering or activating anything at those speeds and it does it high or low beam is selected.
Does anybody have any ideas?

Old 01-26-2011, 03:30 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Chad1903
So my question is does anybody else headlights dim at random on their 550/850XP?

For the past few weeks I have been out plowing snow on my 850XP during the evening hours which is dark out this time of year. In the past I've noticed my headlights would when activating the winch to raise or lower the plow. Makes sense there a draw the electrical system at that point. However now I'm noticing that when I'm at cruising speed around 25 to 30mph going from one spot to the next my headlights will dim for a second or so, just enough to notice a lighting difference on the road and surrounding snow. Obviously I'm not raising or lowering or activating anything at those speeds and it does it high or low beam is selected.
Does anybody have any ideas?

I have a 2011 550, and i don`t have this problem, and its definatly not normal. Im just guessing, but it could be a problem with the charging system.
If its under warranty take it to the dealer and let them check it out.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:05 PM
PCL
Weekend Warrior

is it the fan kicking on?

Old 01-27-2011, 02:52 AM
Trailblazer

Did you check the battery conections to make sure there tight ?.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:34 AM
Pro Rider

I'd say it's the fan kicking in as well. I had this issue the other week.
I had the machine idleing while I was starting a fire outside my small camp and noticed the lights would dim.
It was the fan trying to kick in but was seized.

It's not normal whatever the cause is. Might be hard to track down though. I'd let it idle and when they dim, try to see if you can tell what the bike is trying to send power too.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:04 PM
Trailblazer

If it is the fan I'd be surprised, good idea though. I know the fan isn't seized I hear it kick on all the time at idle off then on then back off so forth. Besides if I'm at cruising speed why would the fan kick on? Especially when the temp is in the single digits.
Yes the battery terminal cable are tight. The only thing I can think of is something in the charging system. I guess its time I make a call and talk to the polaris dealer.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Trailblazer

If I had to bet I say its the fan engaging. I don't know about the XPs but when my 800 kicks on you can tell it takes quite a bit of power. In fact one of the guys I ride with has a brute force and when when we stopped and my fan kicked on he looked at the ATV funny and asked what the he!! they have to have such a noisy fan for.

Old 01-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Trailblazer

Agree with Zeebs, my 800 lights would dim as well while riding when the fan kicked on, although I havent noticed it yet with the new XP.