Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

ECM Problem.... Anybody else?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

recalls and warranties are only as good as your dealer, a good dealer can make alot of things happen

Old 03-10-2011, 08:45 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

What is this ECM of which you speak?

I just think ATVs are to hard on Computer brain boxes.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Although ecm's are carb only modules related to charging and fan operation,but can short out and screw up all the electrical! on EFI models they are often referred to as ecm modules also (even in the parts list they are called this) which is incorrect,they are actually ECU modules which are tied to all the sensors and ignition.( the brain box as many people call them) This confuses a lot of people whether you own a carb or efi model. OPT

Old 03-10-2011, 10:00 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by HeftyLefty
File a complaint with the Consumer Product Safety Commission, give as much detail as possible, tell them the failure of the ECM during vehicle operation could lead to rider injury or death. They can smack Polaris Corporate and have them fix this, (nobody loves a recall).

Don't fault the dealer too much, he will only do what he will get paid for, the era of customer goodwill is long gone.

Have your mechanic check the wiring harness for shorts. Good Luck.
I may have to look into that. I would like to give them (Polaris) the opportunity to make it right before I take further steps. The failure of the ECM sure can cause some major problems. When I was riding, and the battery did finally start going dead, the machine would cut off once my RPM's were up. That actually happened to me when I was riding up a hill, thankfully it was not a steeper incline or a rocky hill.

I am not really faulting the dealer all that much. Where I do fault them is that they obviously know the recalls and problems with the machines, you would think from the customer service standpoint, having people drop 6k+ on new machines, they would do anything in their power to help them get things like a warranty recall taken care of, but on the flip side.... I doubt they are making any money off of the warranty recall's so that puts that in last place behind sales and service that is actually making them money. I am not blind to the fact that they have to make payroll and keep business going, or they would not be there in the first place.

I have personally gone through the machine and checked for shorts, checked connections, and everything I could. Electrical problems make me pull my hair out of my head because I lose patience too quickly, and since there is no true way to diagnose the ECM like you can many of the other parts by checking resistance, draw, and voltage it was hard for me to be confident enough to reach the verdict that the ECM was bad, especially since there was almost no riding time on the replacement part.

I really hope Polaris will make it right and keep my respect as a reputable company because I do like my Sportsman, and would continue to buy polaris, especially since I like the Ranger and RZR's and hopefully at some point in the future will buy one of those.

Thanks for your input, I really do appreciate it.

Old 03-10-2011, 10:08 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Although ecm's are carb only modules related to charging and fan operation, on EFI models they are often referred to as ecm modules also (even in the parts list they are called this) which is incorrect,they are actually ECU modules which are tied to all the sensors and ignition.( the brain box as many people call them) This confuses a lot of people whether you own a carb or efi model. OPT
Thanks for the info OPT, I just changed my sig. LOL

Old 03-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Kerbbirds
recalls and warranties are only as good as your dealer, a good dealer can make alot of things happen
You are right, and something like this is truly going to stick in my head when it does come time to make my next purchase. A successful business relies greatly on return customers and word of mouth. The good ones will stick around, and the ones with poor customer service will be weeded out naturally.

Originally Posted by TLC
What is this ECM of which you speak?

I just think ATVs are to hard on Computer brain boxes.

I can't agree with you more about ATV's being hard on the parts, but that being said, these machines are made to be tough for the soul purpose of driving off-road. Now the photo above is a little above what an ATV is able to do on a normal basis. If I was riding through lakes and such, I would expect my machine to fail quite frequently, but to get an ECM back that was recalled, just to fail almost right out of the box is a little ridiculous.

Thanks again for the multiple response, and I seen the multi-quote function after I posted my first reply for today, oops.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

My sig says no ECU and people would e-mail me and say what's a ECU .

Old 04-08-2011, 08:40 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes I am on my third one with my Quad..........First one was engine shutting off when the light switch was turned on........Solid state circuit breakers in Module shutting down for protection (built-in breakers) Second Module failed(new style) was out in the yard cooking one day and the Quad was sitting there COLD did not run for over 5 hours and I heard the Cooling fan running........I said What the *#!^. So I took it for a ride to check and see it the fan would cycle on and off and it did .......Put it away that night in the garage and next day the battery was dead.......Scary stuff......It could have caught fire that night in the garage, who knows how long the fan was running before it killed the battery, The wires are not made to take that much current for so long of time...........Caper.........Third one now is good now since 2007!!

Old 04-08-2011, 11:39 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by caperinmuskoka
Yes I am on my third one with my Quad..........First one was engine shutting off when the light switch was turned on........Solid state circuit breakers in Module shutting down for protection (built-in breakers) Second Module failed(new style) was out in the yard cooking one day and the Quad was sitting there COLD did not run for over 5 hours and I heard the Cooling fan running........I said What the *#!^. So I took it for a ride to check and see it the fan would cycle on and off and it did .......Put it away that night in the garage and next day the battery was dead.......Scary stuff......It could have caught fire that night in the garage, who knows how long the fan was running before it killed the battery, The wires are not made to take that much current for so long of time...........Caper.........Third one now is good now since 2007!!
Had the same problems: STEP ONE,Polaris sent me a tester to check all Chinese modules,if they passed load test then mark with a green dot and send em out! If failed,order the same module(which I replaced a bunch) STEP TWO: Smarter guys than me at the top realized ALL Chinese modules were bad!
STEP THREE: Call back in ALL customers that passed test and the ones that didn't and replace with American made SUREFIRE ecms that we DIDN'T HAVE (had to wait on em)
STEP FOUR: Replaced ALL affected atvs with new modules(When they slowly came in,about two or three at a time!) STEP FIVE: REPLACE a bunch of bad SUREFIRE ecms. Some machines three times or more on overall ecm replacements! I FEEL your pain! OPT