Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Flywheel removal Sportsman 800 engine

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 09:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flywheel removal Sportsman 800 engine

Hey guys, Does anybody have any experience removing a flywheel from a 800 Sportsman? I'm having a hard time with holding the flywheel with something as to not damage the outer teeth, yet be able to secure it while I'm trying to get the flywheel nut off...

Additionally.....once the flywheel nut is off. I'm planning on using a harmonic balancer to try and pull the flyhwheel. I've read this is NOT an easy off. One might need to hammer on the flywheel to get it to pop off Where would one hit the flywheel. Not sure if a bit of heat from a propane torch might help.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jim

Old 03-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does your fly wheel have bolt holes in it? Post a picture of it. I made a puller for my 02 700.

Old 03-13-2011, 10:58 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Well if it's anything like a 500, I used an impact and zipped the nut right off. Can't remember if it's a right or left hand thread though, you might want to make sure of that. A harmonic balancer puller will work just make sure not to run the bolts in to far and damage the stator. I pulled mine with a three jaw puller. Put pressure on it and hit it with a dead blow hammer then a little more pressure and so on until it finally popped. Wouldn't suggest a steel hammer but a brass would might be OK to use. They can be a real bitch to remove sometimes. Good luck

Old 03-14-2011, 08:38 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by readymixer169
Well if it's anything like a 500, I used an impact and zipped the nut right off. Can't remember if it's a right or left hand thread though, you might want to make sure of that. A harmonic balancer puller will work just make sure not to run the bolts in to far and damage the stator. I pulled mine with a three jaw puller. Put pressure on it and hit it with a dead blow hammer then a little more pressure and so on until it finally popped. Wouldn't suggest a steel hammer but a brass would might be OK to use. They can be a real bitch to remove sometimes. Good luck
Thanks Ready. Yeah, a real bitch is what I'm hearing. Yes, it's got screw holes for for a harmonic puller. One guy I heard went through two harmonic balancers and still could not get it off. He had to get a really good one from Snap-On and when it came off it was like a shotgun firing.

-So where do you hit the flywheel with the harmonic balancer installed? I don't want to hit the teeth on the ends of the flywheel and the main body of the flywheel seems like it will be mostly covered by the harmonic balancer puller....

-Also, how did you hold the flywheel and the crank from turning while you're trying to get the nut off? I'm thinking about a large strap, or wedging a chunk of 2x4 under the wheel. Can't see to find a safe way to hold it. My block currently sits sans jug and pistons.

Thanks.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:01 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Originally Posted by FunRide
Thanks Ready. Yeah, a real bitch is what I'm hearing. Yes, it's got screw holes for for a harmonic puller. One guy I heard went through two harmonic balancers and still could not get it off. He had to get a really good one from Snap-On and when it came off it was like a shotgun firing.

-So where do you hit the flywheel with the harmonic balancer installed? I don't want to hit the teeth on the ends of the flywheel and the main body of the flywheel seems like it will be mostly covered by the harmonic balancer puller....

-Also, how did you hold the flywheel and the crank from turning while you're trying to get the nut off? I'm thinking about a large strap, or wedging a chunk of 2x4 under the wheel. Can't see to find a safe way to hold it. My block currently sits sans jug and pistons.

Thanks.
I didn't have to hold the flywheel on mine. My impact has enough power that it just broke the nut loose after just a few bumps. I did soak it with a little penetrating oil first. I hit the sides of the flywheel along the teeth with a dead blow hammer. They're a hard rubber hammer filled with sand which makes them very heavy and forceful when striking an object but won't damage something like your flywheel. And yes they do sound like a shot gun when they come off! Not to mention they can cause bloody knuckles when they fly off, OUCH!!!

Old 03-14-2011, 11:17 AM
Pro Rider

When I had to pull mine from my 500, it was on there good. It took me forever to get it off. I built a custom jig out of aluminum similar to a harmonic balancer puller. I then used a large slide hammer to pull it off. On top of whacking at it for several hours with the slide hammer, I also used a large brass hammer to ring it and get some good harmonic vibrations going to help free it up.

When you get it off and you are ready to put it back on, be sure to put a little bit of anti-seize on the shaft before it all goes back together.

Old 03-14-2011, 12:52 PM
Trailblazer

Mine was on there pretty good, and I ended up using my electric impact wrench for the center nut. Then used a stearing wheel puller, and the impact wrench again to pull to actually pull the flywheel off. If you don't have access to air tools, then I would insist on an electric impact wrench. My space is cramped and my compressor was a hassle to get out, so I bought this. It makes short work of this type of stuff!

Old 03-14-2011, 06:11 PM
Trailblazer

use a 2x4 to chuck the flywheel. You should not tap on the fly wheel at all. Unless you can afford to ($$$), the easiest way to get it off is to loosen the nut (located in the center of the wheel) all the way until you have about three more turns. Get a piece of steel about 1/4" thick drill the three bolt hole pattern in the steel (the pattern on the fly wheel). I think the bolt size in the fly wheel is M8 (not sure for your application). Using the piece of steel put the three bolts through the steel and in the fly wheel, as you tighten down with a ratchet (do not use impact) it will get tighter, turn about 1/2 turn on every m8 bolt. It will eventually pop off. THIS IS THE SAFEST WAY, UNLESS YOU CAN AFFORD THE PULLER THAT POLARIS SELLS. REMEMBER DO NOT TAP ON THE FLYWHEEL.