Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

rear differential solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 01:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear differential solenoid

During the usual checkup after a days riding noticed the rear differential was stuck open i.e. only 1 wheel drive at the rear on my 800 touring.

Upon removing the rear diff solenoid it doesn't actuate in and out freely. Operates sporadically and stays solid in the unlocked situation.

If it isn't one thing on this machine its another, only driven about 110 hours on it, mostly on decent trails without too much mud. It gets cared for better than the wife.
Anyway I have gathered a lot of intimate knowledge, this thing should just work without all that crap!
Ok enough down to business.

Anyone know of a mechanical solution or a heavy duty solenoid that won't let you down?
Anyone interested in a mechanical solution?

Old 03-24-2011, 08:34 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

What? I do hope your referring to a model with the turf saver mode. Otherwise it should be a locked rear end.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:39 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by readymixer169
What? I do hope your referring to a model with the turf saver mode. Otherwise it should be a locked rear end.
Had me thinking too??? Unless he is talking about a Ranger and the rear diff lock??

Old 03-24-2011, 08:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, tourings have the turf mode, as do the X2's. Had the solenoid go bad in my 2007 X2 also. You know it's not working when you don't hear the loud click upon turning the key on or switching differential modes. I replaced it with Polaris part and no issues with the new one.

Old 03-24-2011, 11:58 PM
Trailblazer

Indeed its a model with the Turf Saver option.

X2, ranger, 800 Touring and a few others have a rear planetairy differential which you can lock for full traction.

I do a lot of asfalt riding and the rear tyres do last longer with the diff open.
But when you get into the trails sometimes you need traction on all 4.
With decent tyres and my riding style "tend to avoid mud" usually everything open gets me where I want to go.

There are solenoids around you can leave energized 24/7 and have them work when you need them, but Polaris engineered it cheaply. Add to that a funny relay which switches the thing and the dealership is in business.
At least the tranny is designed to take the strain of European ATV riding.

I'm going to order in a new solenoid, run open in the mean time.
And then machine a mechanical solution to lock/unlock the rear diff from some billet stainless.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:45 PM
Range Rover
Default same problem on my 07sp800x2

Just picked my 07sp800x2 up from the dealer today. Had the same problem ,open diff and the click noise went away when switched forom 2wd to turf. My ext warranty is about up so I had a few things fixed. On the ticket from the dealer it says the new solenoid was $206.99. Does that sound right guys? They did charge me $133.50 for electrical diagnosis which is not covered under ext warranty???

Old 04-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by cscotter
Just picked my 07sp800x2 up from the dealer today. Had the same problem ,open diff and the click noise went away when switched forom 2wd to turf. My ext warranty is about up so I had a few things fixed. On the ticket from the dealer it says the new solenoid was $206.99. Does that sound right guys? They did charge me $133.50 for electrical diagnosis which is not covered under ext warranty???
NOT sure what kind of extended warranty you have and what it covered(several plans offered),but ours was under GE and the only thing the customer had to pay was the deductible (usually 50 bucks) OR no deductible if he chose the higher plan if warranty still in force. (dealer may have wanted more than what warranty paid ???) OR could have been warranty on parts only?? An example a customer paid only the deductible, we were paid the shop hourly rate plus a percentage of the parts through warranty. OPT

Old 04-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Range Rover
Default polaris ext warranty

Ya its the polaristar protection plus GE warranty with the $50 deductible The dealer said it doesnt cover electrical diagnosis. I told him I didnt see that on the contract, he replied it might not say that on yours but it says it on ours?? Turns out they said there was a bad connection at a junction point in wire harness that caused a short which damaged the solenoid. I think maybee they are tired of doing free warranty work and wanted to collect something?

I cant complain though. I paid $500 for the 30mo ext warr. plus 6 mo factory warr.
over the years it covered this $207 solenoid and labor

-entire trans gearbox replacement Part cost$1433.29 and labor

-overheating problem Fan assembly $240.29 circuit breaker 32.19 and labor

My wife said tonight "now that the warranty is up should we get rid of this thing it could turn into a money pit"

Im not going too I like it

Not too sure about overall quality though, it has 670mi mostly just driving around the gravel roads at the cabin Im old now and dont really do anything rough or abusive to this thing??