Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2009 Sportsman X2 Rear Fender Gap Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 04:13 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Sportsman X2 Rear Fender Gap Problem

Someone posted once that they knew of a fix for this.. Cant seem to find it..

The rear fenders have developed a gap between them and the rear cargo box of my X2. I thought someone once posted this is due to the foot well supports drooping and pulling the fenders down as well. Does anyone have a fix for this? Tried jacking up the quad using the footwell supports but the quad ifted right up and they didnt budge..

Thanks

Old 04-18-2011, 10:57 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

There is a thinner piece of metal that supports the fender just in front of the rear wheels. That can be pulled up by hand a little bit. I don't think it's the footwell support. I have also noticed where the two latches that are kind of like hooks catch on the upside down U-shaped catches that the hooks can wear the catches. I have a bit of a groove on each side that is about 1/8" deep that makes the gap a little more noticable. Not an issue to me but it's there.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks I tried to bend that bar up a little bit that's just in front of the fender that didn't do the trick . I read somewhere that someone had the same problem and was able to fix it through the foot wells. hopefully they'll see this post and tell us about it

Old 04-19-2011, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

From working around the footwell areas I can tell you the supports are pretty beefy. It would take a lot to bend them down and away from the rear of the quad. But I would guess all things are possible. If I get a chance I'll take a closer look.

Old 04-19-2011, 06:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

I pulled the foot well plastic and found that the foot well supports are actually two part.

The main part supports the front portion of the footwell, used by the operator. This portion is very beefy and definately not likely to be the problem.

The rear part attaches to the front part via the bolts that hold the foorwell plastic on. This rear part supports the rear footwell area normally used by a passenger, sometimes used by me on very long steep climbs.

This rear part is much less rigid than the front and I think this is where the problem is arising. With the rear fender unattached from the footwells, it easily moves back into it's proper place, but in order to reattach the the footwells, it has to be pulled down and forward a bit, pulling it away from the cargo box. I tried leveraging on the supports with several items, none seemed to have much effect.

The cargo box is certainly not the culprit as there is no room for adjustment on the latches that hold it down. I'm letting it go for now but will revisit at some time. Hopefully someone had a similar problem and found a good fix.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I was quietly watching and hoping you would get an answer for this. It was one of my major concerns in buying my X2. I have noticed many "well used" X2s have separated at location.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Someone has the answer because I read a post that they had the problem but fixed it. I just cant remember what forum it was on. I thought it was this one, but havent found the post yet. Doesnt help that "x2" and "gap" sre too short to use in the search engine for this site.

I was hoping they would notice this thread, but so far, obviously, no luck