Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How can I change the color?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I change the color?

Is there a permanent way to change the color of my plastics on my 03 trailblazer? I don't really mind the "medium yellow" that it came with from polaris, but I would like to change it to.... something else. Is there a paint and/or process to paint it or dyeing it or something that I won't have to constantly be touching it up? It's the slick plastic if that helps anybody. I remember someone talking about painting a sportsman in another thread a while back, but I can't find it to see what the original finish was of his plastics. I thought about sanding it dull and using maybe a urethane automotive paint, but I don't want to go thru all that just to have to respray parts of it every few days/weeks. Anybody done something like this before that worked like I'm looking for?

Old 05-02-2011, 02:44 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i now that "sportsman70003" had changed colors of his 700 a couple of times. once by putting material over his body parts. maybe you can search his name to see how he did it in post that he made? it was a while ago when he did it.

Old 05-02-2011, 06:54 AM
Trailblazer

I thought of this too......C.F wrap maybe....Even though You'd have to keep it pretty mint....trails would scrap paint right off and you'll see the original paint color under the new stuff right after your first ride lol.
I am wondering what would u do for the under side where all the mud accumilates...spray on bed liner???? IDK ahh forget it....I crash too much anyway....

Old 05-02-2011, 09:26 AM
Pro Rider

There was somebody else who put some sort of paint on their plastics I thought, I still can't find it. I wouldn't mind having to put sheets on, if they have a color I want. I love camo, but I want something loud and bright. I shot them an email, I'm just waiting on a response. If there is some sort of paint that wouldn't just flake off when the fenders move, I'd paint the entire thing. top and bottom

Old 05-02-2011, 10:22 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmuddin284
There was somebody else who put some sort of paint on their plastics I thought, I still can't find it. I wouldn't mind having to put sheets on, if they have a color I want. I love camo, but I want something loud and bright. I shot them an email, I'm just waiting on a response. If there is some sort of paint that wouldn't just flake off when the fenders move, I'd paint the entire thing. top and bottom
Look up POWER SPORTS WRAPS,awesome camo and wild custom wraps! We had our company truck wrapped in our own design and logos. Tough material and they offer kits for the owners to wrap there own atvs. Might be a consideration. OPT

Old 05-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Range Rover
First Things First!

You can paint the plastic using auto paint and primer but unless you have some experience spraying it can get very expensive correcting mistakes. Paint that will last would be polyurethane and a primer for flexible plastic. Thats just a beginning, then thinner, reducer, catalyst and maybe a flex additive and finding which type of plastic it is. The paint on my 850 LE Nuclear Sunset was a X code and over $200 a quart so I left the seat/box black, cheaper colors but everything else is the same, expensive. Best idea is go with a wrap, tough, easier and no worry about damage to your lungs.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:15 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Depending on what color you want, you can swap it with some other year models and with the 400cc trail blazer. Some years on the scrambler worked as well, buy you need to keep you nose piece for that since the scrammy was a 4 stroke.

Old 05-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Pro Rider

A few options I would look at...

Buy another full set of plastics...they're on ebay, craigslist al the time...just have to keep your eyes open.

Or...

Have the plastics Hydro dipped, countless patterns, colors...etc.

Or...

If your not worried about adding a little more weight. Have the plastics done with spray on "bed liner". Linex/Rhino liners have several different colors, super tough. Only problem is they will add a little weight.

I wouldn't paint the plastics, if you go with the cheap plastic spray paint...looks good, but scratches off very easy. The high end paint is freaking expensive and still scratches off.

If I wanted to do mine...I would have them hydro dipped.

Wenty

Old 05-02-2011, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

the only problem I see with finding other colors for the other years 400 trailblazers is that there are no other years.... I know that the scramblers are of similar size, but I have no idea if their plastics would fit/bolt down properly. I've been looking into some of the wraps and stuff but i'll have to check out power sports wraps and see what they offer. Other than that I just don't see how painting it could be something worthwhile. I've dabled with auto paints, but I think even urethane with a flexable primer would still crack/chip after repeated run ins with brush, tree limbs, vines, etc, etc. I'd like to have something a little smoother than rhino liner... but it's an option Still taking suggestions to other makes models and years that would work on my 03 tblazer tho...

Old 05-02-2011, 08:49 PM
Pro Rider

as for the hydro dip.... they're pretty proud of that technology still... the cheapest I've found was somewhere between 350 and 400 bucks... I could easily find a set of plastics at a bone yard somewhere around here for less than that. I could actually go with bedliner cheaper than that... I guess what I'm down to looking for now is another year/model that would work on mine that I can get in other colors.... If anybody can help with that it would be wonderful

Quick Reply: How can I change the color?