Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Piston and wrist pin locked up

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 11:12 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, in the process of the rebuild, I didn't find much flaking and NO metal chunks, just a very minimal bit of flaking. Althought, in the crankcase, on the lower camchain side with the camchin drive sprocket where it's surrounded or housed(circular shape) I found about a 3-4 inch long groove (not very deep) where it looked like a piece of metal got whipped around in there only in that one spot, a very fine thin line. Cam chain looked good though, still looked like new with no damage. Showed no sign of wear. Anything any1 thinks I should check??
Thanks

Old 06-28-2011, 11:23 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Case should be fine if it has some score marks,BUT I would always replace the cam chain on a rebuild,unless it was an almost new machine that was torn into! They do stretch and you can't tell by looking at em! OPT

Old 06-28-2011, 11:30 PM
Range Rover

Yah, that's what I was wondering, If I should put a new chain on or not. I might just go ahead and order one since I am doing a complete top and bottom rebuild, but the chain has very low hours on it, 20 hours at the most. The low hours on the chain was what had me second guessing on wether or not I should replace it.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:01 AM
Range Rover

Well, I finally finished the rebuild a few weeks ago. Still havn't had time to take it out for a slow ride yet except for up and down the street a few time. It sounds and runs good. again, it's a 2004 polaris 330 atp, 4 stroke, 4X4. I would say though that I hear the slightest ticking noise but nothing alarming by any means. All in all it sounds good. ANY THOUGHTS???? I have heard or read many posts on some polaris atv being a little noisy. It might be just me being overly catious as well thinking I'm hearing a little abnormal tick. I did check and set the valve clearance to spec. Cam looked good. All is new except for the cylider was not rebored, because it looked great and had no damage, although I do know out of round is always a possibility. I aslo kept the same timing chain. The motor only had less than 20 hours on it. I think it was just road hard by a younger rider and then just sat for a long time before I finally bought it and started trouble shooting.

I bought it broke down a year ago (NOT KNOWING WHAT WAS DAMAGED) with the lower rod bearing spun. So I had only rebuilt the bottom end then with a NEW Crank, lower bearings, and a few other odds and ends. So, I guess on this new rebuild with the wrist pin almost freezing to the piston ( I rode at low speed then I shut it down while out ice fishing then would not start back up when ready to leave), I didn't replace the crank this time as well, but all else was new listed below.
So, New parts this time was rod, lower rod bearings, piston, rings, wrist pin, crank seals, gaskets. I also made sure EVERYTHING was cleaned out well. Carb rebuilt.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:37 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

My thoughts are just change oil and filter at 20 hrs and just enjoy the machine!! Normal for a little ticking noise on the air/oil cooled 325 and 330 engines!! OPT

Old 08-05-2011, 11:43 AM
Range Rover

Thanks OPT, WILL DO!!! Thanks for your help in the past!
Kelly