Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 325 Trail Boss rear bearing

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 08:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 325 Trail Boss rear bearing

I don't know how to get the rear axel apart...Does anybody have some pictures or something to show me what to do..Thanks

Old 05-15-2011, 09:37 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Festes
I don't know how to get the rear axel apart...Does anybody have some pictures or something to show me what to do..Thanks
Manual will explain best,but in a nutshell, jack up right under frame to lift tires off ground, remove tires,loosen the 2 axle housing bolts,you can use a large pipe wrench to turn the rear axle housing forward to loosen chain,remove RIGHT axle hub,remove sprocket guard bolts,remove sprocket bolts and can just let set there,the guard can slide off axle, remove snap ring on axle nut retainer cap on RIGHT side. Slide cap and snap ring off axle,remove main axle nut against housing. Go to left side,remove brake caliper,loosen rear brake rotor and hub,REMOVE caliper mounting bracket.With sprocket still in loose chain you can slide axle out from left side. You May have to remove snap ring on LEFT side,retainer cap,and nut also for room to remove the caliper bracket,Plus there is a snap ring INSIDE the LOCKING SPACER on left side that may have to be removed and slid outwards? (been a while since I removed one).Chain,sprocket can just dangle and can be lifted up to change bearings,seals. Hope this helps you get started,BUT I may have forgotten something(I'm ALLOWED since this off the top of my head!) I stress getting a MANUAL! PLUS you can see a break down on parts at Pure Polaris Parts Catalog online. OPT

Old 05-16-2011, 12:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

So the nut retainer cap just pops off?...I tried to pry mine some and it didn't seem to budge any. Thanks for all the info by the way!!

Old 05-16-2011, 07:47 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

So the nut retainer cap just pops off?...I tried to pry mine some and it didn't seem to budge any. Thanks for all the info by the way!!
You have to sometimes pry a little around the retainer cap to remove it depending on how much dirt and mud!!(retainer ring HAS to be removed first!) OPT

Old 05-22-2011, 08:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Is there any way to hold the axle to get the right axle nut off? I been trying to use the brakes but that doesn't seem to hold it...Does the right axel nut turn counter clockwise? I'm assuming it does, but I can't seem to get the dang thing loose!! Any suggestions?

Old 05-22-2011, 09:02 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Is there any way to hold the axle to get the right axle nut off? I been trying to use the brakes but that doesn't seem to hold it...Does the right axel nut turn counter clockwise? I'm assuming it does, but I can't seem to get the dang thing loose!! Any suggestions?
I had a custom made 3" x 3' pipe with a socket welded in place and a 1/2" adapter welded on the other end for use with an impact I could just impact em off! Before I had this,I removed em in TWO different ways. With machine jacked up and a big pipe wrench over the nut with the handle on the concrete,then place in REVERSE slowly give it gas,would usually break the nut loose.The other way if heat and the wrench didn't work,I would just air chisel the nut lose and replace with a new one! OPT

Old 05-22-2011, 09:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok thanks....that homemade socket would do the trick for sure...gonna have to take it somewheres and get some heat on it I guess...that may help...thanks

Trending Topics

Old 05-28-2011, 08:49 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont even mess with trying to loosen them.I start by making a couple cuts with a cutting wheel on a Drimmel then split the nut with a chissel and replace the nut.Save time and frustration