Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Broke a few things on my SP 800 XP

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broke a few things on my SP 800 XP

This last weekend at the Yacht Club was the first time breaking stuff for me, I play hard in the mud with mine and has been awesome.
Anyway, lost brakes later in the day, once home and clean a few days later saw nothing with the lines so I took the cap off and pumped fluid thru found it leaking out the rear wheel brake cylinder. Is this a re-buildable part or do I have to get a new caliper.

Next, heard a horrible popping noise in front left while in thick mud getting out of a hole. I've never torn into a CV joint axle thingy would it be damaged on the wheel side or T-case side? Should I buy aftermarket axle or polaris and should I swap both at same time. The boot had a cut in it which im sure had mud in it. I've been reading on how to on this site hopefully I can figure out how to replace. I think I saw an add around here for 129 repair CV axles.

Also broke the winch cable (twice) and now only have about a 20' cable that i dont trust. I took it out and how do I replace the cable? Planning on synthetic. do I have to take the whole winch apart? i was expecting some sort of bolt on the spool or something.

front end was loose and found the rubber was gone around the ball joints. Found replacement kits for 35 a side where as polaris wants 42 for 1 ball joint.

Now, want to order new Primary spring. I think its the Blue with orange stripe for mine. I have none of the tools, should I just pay to have it done and should I replace the secondary spring too? would like a little lower torque and dont care for top end. If I want to haul booty I'll just jump on my sons's 700XX.

And to add to all this another bike I have broke the L rear axle at the wheel so its a 3x4 ha, ill find that price when I get the polaris fixed. yikes, expensive weekend.

I know, lots of questions and look forward to your responses.

Thanks

Old 06-03-2011, 02:43 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

RULE of thumb: If you KNOW you can do it go right ahead,if uncertain especially where specialty tools are required,then its possible a shop is the answer. On certain thinks,like the winch cable you can replace yourself and cv assemblies with just a common tool set normally. A manual still is the best teacher(along with a little grease on your hands) and can help you decide what you want to do and whats best left for a shop! Depending on the brand of winch ,there should be a screw for the cable end OR a slot?? You can easily change the primary spring,but the rear clutch has to be taken apart to replace the spring . There is a special tool to remove ball joints,although some have made there own! Calipers can be rebuilt in most cases. You've got a pretty good 'shopping list" of things to do and as suggested a MANUAL I believe is first on the list! OPT

Old 06-03-2011, 06:54 PM
Range Rover

If you paly in the mud a lot you may want ot look at rhino or gorilla axles. I agree I would look for a shop manual for your bike and then you can see for yourself if you want to do it or pay someone to fix it. You won't ahve to take your winch apart to put a new line on it.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:28 PM
Trailblazer

I don't feel so bad now, you have a repair list. I guess that goes with the sport, thats what I keep saying. Seems like evreytime we go we come home with na new list of parts to order..