Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

?? HPD or AAen ?? Roller Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2001, 07:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok out there. Give me some feed back on who would be the better Roller Clutch to go with.I do understand what they do and the reason i am going to put one on my 2001--4x4-Scrambler.Money is not the real issue but i do want to have the better of the two.
Also what are the limits on the belt drive deflection (or play)between the drive and the driven clutch?
How far can the belt run out of the driven clutch sheavs and still be ok?
I have found that all imfo from the forum is far better than all the specs that you read in all the manuals. We have all been there and tried it, but we always go with the trile and error that our friends have, been there and done that.
Thanks again Forum and Maybe i can help the next forum friend.

Scrampaw--Collierville,Tn. (Memphis Area)
2001 4x4 500 Scrambler
HPD Pipe
HPD Clutch
HPD Air Box Mod.
HPD Carb Rework
My-self lighten Sprocket Guard
Intake PVT Snorkle
??? HPD or Aaen Roller Clutch ???

Old 03-12-2001, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

I JUST got off the phone with Darrel at HPD with the same question !! Not 5 minutes before reading your post !!!
Of course he said that his was stronger and had not had any problems with the unit. He pointed out that the HPD uses larger fasteners in the construction, and that the aluminum parts are made from bar stock rather than castings. He also said that the rollers are supported on both sides, rather than on one side as on the Aaen.
He made some good selling points, and all of the other products that I have bought directly from HPD and through RCR have been top notch, quality stuff.
I spoke with Rick this afternoon and he steered me toward the HPD unit also.
I am keeping an open mind on this subject, as I'm also in the market for a roller clutch. I would like to hear any feed back that the members have!!

Old 03-12-2001, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

I just bought an HPD roller clutch kit it is awsume looking an impressive. It tolk HPD along time to bring one out. HPD builds an race quad an they tryed the aaen roller but tended to break them. My opion is for you to get The HPD one it very east to install too.

Old 03-12-2001, 08:49 PM
Range Rover

I have the HPD and it is great. I have never had the AAEN or even seen it so I can not compare. The HPD looks like a very solid piece. Installation was fairly easy.

Good luck on your decision (sp?)

KD

Old 03-12-2001, 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

Hey guys,

When you install a roller clutch, do you still need to buy a clutch kit with different weights and springs? Or does the roller kit take care of all that.

I guess what I am saying is - How much money do I need to spend. Just the $180 for the roller kit, or do I have to spend more on top of that?

Old 03-12-2001, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

Lurch,

If I'm not mistaken, the Roller comes w/ a spring, so after you spend the $180 for the roller, you'll need a Primary (front spring) and weights...........thats it!

EC

Old 03-12-2001, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

When I modded my Sport, I talked to Darrell from HPD. He pretty much talked me out of installing the roller clutch. He said the main application for it was for drag racing. I do a lot of fire road riding, along with a lot of technical riding. Will the roller help me out with this kind of riding?

How do you guys that have it feel about it for everyday riding? If it helps, I want one, of course.

Old 03-12-2001, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

Quadfather, I spoke with Darrel last summer about the Roller. He supposedly had a "patent" problem with Aaen so they were not on good terms. He said that the Roller would harm performance in mud and similar types of trail riding. But then again HPD tells me different things every time I call them. Despite changing stories every week, there products are top-notch.

I then called Olav over at Aaen and he just laughed about what Darrel had told me. He suggested the Roller for trail riding...and he was right! It is really a noticeable difference. The power now feels direct with no lag in response. Acceleration seems to have improved also. It helps with wheelies! I think it is one of the top 3 mods I have done to date.

Brian

Old 03-13-2001, 04:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

The Roller Clutch will make up shifting smother,and down shifting also. It has a quicker response because there is no friction between the two parts due to there are bearings instead of teflon.Teflon is good ,but rollers are better.
Have you ever seen the results after a roller cam has been put into a motor.Talk with any race car person and they well tell you that a roller is better.
The roller clutch is the superior over the factory teflon so i am told for trail riding and racing. Hope this will clear up why it is better but who has the better one.
I believe that HPD should be the better, due to they don't use cast parts and use billet stock for there parts
making your 4-wheeler quicker coming off turns in the woods.
Well i guess i will get on the phone when they HPD is open for buiss.

Scrampaw
All HPD so far

Old 03-13-2001, 08:13 PM
Range Rover

Without evaluating the actual performance (can't compare two side by side) I can tell you that my experience with AAEN parts for my scrambler has been bad.

The key part of my troubles was not the clutch, but the carb. Still, the lack of appropriate follow through and solutions wasted my time and my money.

Considering the comments on the alternative choice, I think it's a no-brainer.

Quick Reply: ?? HPD or AAen ?? Roller Clutch