Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2010 Polaris Sportsman 850 XP problems.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 09:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2010 Polaris Sportsman 850 XP problems.

I have owned 6 Polaris machines and now I have a Lemon from Polaris and I am getting no help from customer service. This is not a bash because I love my machine when it isn't in the shop for repairs. I have less than 500 miles on my 850 XP. I have owned it for 8 months now and it has been to the shop 4 times for a total of 2 months. I had it in the shop twice because it was backfiring and the service and engine signal came on. It was the ETC both times. They had the machine for a total of 3 weeks to fix that issue. I then put the machine into the ADC feature before going down a hill and it sounded like the front gear box was going to explode. I took it out of ADC and put it into 4X4 and it did the same thing. I had to put it in 2X4 the rest of the day. I take it to the same dealer and they have the machine for 3 weeks. I call the dealer and they tell me all yeah its fixed come and get it. I show up and ask what did they replace and they told me we just changed the fluid and its good to go. I am floored but needed my bike for an upcoming Hatfield and McCoy ride so I buzzed it around the parking lot in ADC and no issues. The first hill I come to on my ride I put it in ADC and it again sounded like the front gear box was going to explode.....same issue.....I wanted to scream. Later that same weekend my bike is smoking so bad the people behind me could not see the trail. I get back to camp and the air box is full of oil and my air filter is soaked with oil. I check the engine dip stick and I and 3/4 of a quart low. Now I am mad as heck. I clean my air filter out with gas and dry it out and clean the air box out. Add 3/4 of a quart of the Polaris $10 a quart oil and that issue is resolved for the time being. The next day I cut a side wall on a rock. Pull the plugs and glue out to fix the tire and notice the A-arm bushings are worn out after 420 miles. I am now ready to take my 800lb piece of crap back to the dealer. Drop it off on a Monday. That Friday I call them and they told me the A-arm bushings need replace and we haven't got to the front gear box. I called them today, 10 days later and they have yet to get to the gear box issue. And I forgot to mention the front gear box is leaking oil out of the prop shaft. I then called Polaris and explained my issues and they basically told me that I need to keep working with the dealer to get the issues resolved. I told the lady on the phone that I have an annual ride coming up on the 4th off July and I will have to ride my boys 2000 Honda 400ex because my 2010 Polaris can't seem to find its way out of the shop. It is not the dealers fault that they produced a defective part. My issues isn't with the dealer it's with Polaris and they won't stand behind there product. It seems they are trying to ride on there past reputation and I think there customer service stinks. Anyone else have the same gear box issues.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:27 PM
Range Rover

I'm sorry to hear about your problems, that is so annoying when you have a new machine and can't trust it. Just a thought but have you tried a new polaris dealer, you may want to. Maybe a new one will have a quicker turn around time. May want ot hink about an extended warranty also.

As far as the diff problems none yet on either the 550 or 850. However I am having problems with the bushings as well, mainly the front. Best of luck with your machine hope all works out.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

I bought the extended warranty. If not all this would be coming out of my pocket because of a manufacturers defective part. That is a crock of crap imo.
Thanks Tonyxp