Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Demo rides, did you get one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2001, 09:39 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's my solution, don't F**k w/ the dealers buy one that is a year old. It is already broken in, you can test ride it and get $1000 shaved off the price! I guess you can't do this with ones that just came out but then if you wait a year and there are any major problems with the design you hear about it before buying one and bieng screwed over!

Old 03-14-2001, 08:46 AM
BK
Pro Rider

I have never went to a dealer around here that didn't offer a test ride. They always let me try what is set up, and if they don't have one ready, they will let me know when to come back. The place I bought my last machine has several acres and didn't say a thing when I test rode for 10-15 minutes. I think in part its because I'm 42 and I make them aware of my experience riding. But a lot of times they offer before I say a word. Maybe its the type of locations, these are all in smaller towns and more rural settings.

BK
2001 325 Trail Boss

Old 03-14-2001, 01:32 PM
Pro Rider

This may sound a bit biased but "most" dealers do not offer test rides because they usually "feel" there customers out the second they walk in the door. They decide whether your a potential buyer or a window-shopper.

I usually walk in with my wife...We look like two school kids. We both have long hair and look like we are 20 years old. For them thats a "non-buyer". I expect this so I ask them several questions, refer to my "employment status" and the Grand Cherokee parked outside and they have this glimmer in there eyes---> $$$ I just became a potential buyer.

It's funny to see there reaction when they ask: "Your not a student?? hmmm...Well then, let me show you our new models!" Same thing when I go to lease a car every couple years. They always point me towards the smaller vehicles, then look amazed when I ask to see the mini-vans or 4x4's...

Sad but true.

Old 03-14-2001, 03:41 PM
Pro Rider

DevRay, all my purchases have been the same way.

Xplor, I think you are right about that in some situations. I would aggree that a dealer would be less likley to let a minor test drive a quad. At my age and looks that should not be an issue.

Old 03-14-2001, 04:10 PM
Trailblazer

Yeah like you said xplor it's not until they realize what car you drove up in that they start paying attention to you. Me and my dad wen't to a local dealer and stood around for 15-20 mins waiting for someone to help us, we finally got mad and left, but as soon as the saw us about to get into my dads lexus they came chasing after us as if we were their best friend. This was 3-4 years ago and we haven't been back since.

Old 03-14-2001, 04:12 PM
Range Rover

My dealer allows people to test ride if they are a serious prospect. Granted this pretty subjective, but put yourself in their shoes.

Joe Knucklehead could get on a 4-wheeler for the first time and hurt himself real easy. I have seen it happen....actually it was me... LMAO! I rode my buddies heavily modded Sport 400 (HPD race mod and all). It was the first time I had ever been on a 4-wheeler He told me to go real easy on the throttle.....I rolled my eyes (as I had ridden motorcycles in my youth and thought I didn't need any warning) and hit the sucker ......and watched in slow motion as that bike erupted under me and flung my arms off. Bike was ok....I was ok (except for my pride of course).

The aforementioned dealership also sells Polaris Watercraft and has a pond in back where you can ride and a small riding area for 4-wheelers. I rode the Scram 500...walked back in....and walked out 30 minutes later with my bike. Of course I completed my required safety course. *wink wink nudge nudge say no more*

What a day!

Regards,

MrMan

Old 03-14-2001, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

Dealers are spooked. We have at least 5 acres for test riding ATV"s. You let someone try one next thing you know they are riding double or let their 10 year old on it. A big Polaris no no. You have to run e'm down and let them know it can't be done that way. Some understand others give you a look like you are an a$$hole.
Hey, has anyone ever tried to test ride a new Harley at your local dealer? Good luck.