Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1993 trail boss 2x4 250

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 05:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1993 trail boss 2x4 250

i have ordered new coil,ht lead plug cap and plug so will see soon if it sparks.
i also took out starter motor and it was siezed solid,took a right beating to take it apart so not gonna bother with brushes just replace it with also a new solenoid.

if after fitting coil and bits i get no spark then where do i go???
also i removed starter moter that was siezed solid there was also a smaller seperate from the starter group of gears.i oiled this and it sort of twists in and out,is this all it should do or should i replace this also.
do i need a spacific starter???

Old 07-09-2011, 06:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Usually coils are not the problem,have had a few resistor caps go bad (you can check cap,should show around 5k ohms) Plus have had very few if any cdis on the 250 engine bad! The starter bendix (gear shaft) is what operates off the starter.Just make sure it is greased well and operates in and out ok. If you still don't have spark,its usually the trigger coil or the charge coil (resistance tests are really needed unless you replace the whole stator and the trigger coil will come with it) Check DB electric as prices on starters are reasonable. Others may have resistance specs on the trigger and stator coil(can't remember off top of my head any more). Hope this helps,keep us updated. OPT

Old 07-10-2011, 04:21 PM
Trailblazer

trigger coil,charge coil,stator
what???
i will look these up thank you

Old 07-10-2011, 04:27 PM
Trailblazer

got a nother question please...
in the wireing near the battery there is a wire running near the frame that goes into some sort of sealed plastic envelope thing then carries on,what is it???

Old 07-10-2011, 05:13 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

This is the main 20 amp sealed fuse that Polaris uses.If you ever have problems with no power to the lights,switch,starter etc,this is the first area to check! Even though sealed,they can become corroded,short out,etc.You can split the pouch and you can see the small square fuse.It's originally designed to trip on and reset if an electrical problem happens.You can just use a test light on the wire going in and out of the pouch,if has power on each side the fuse is still good. They are replaceable and a lot of auto stores have them also. OPT

Old 07-12-2011, 07:12 AM
Trailblazer

so i have replaced coil,ht lead ,cap and plug i have nice colour sparks but they look thin and small and still not fireing.
should the spark be like this?i have fuel going to the carb,filling the bowl and going into the barrel or bore.after a dozen pulls i get a loud pop from the exhaust.

HELP ME PLEASE

Old 07-12-2011, 08:15 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Lets back up a little bit! Have you checked compression also? Must have a minimum of 100 psi to crank up. If compression is good,fire is ok, and you are certain the carb is clean with fresh fuel,could have a crank seal problem,but check the other things first. Keep us updated. PS could also have a flooded crank case,try holding throttle wide open also! Plus check if gas has filled the exhaust pipe. OPT

Old 07-12-2011, 12:08 PM
Trailblazer

ok thanks i had previously drained the crank case as i did flood it,i have removed the exhaust to check but will need to buy a compession tester then i shall see what it says,thanks for your help.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:11 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Keep us updated. You can do a "thumb pop" test just to kinda check it out. Just remove plug and cap out of the way and hold your thumb over the plug hole while having someone pull the recoil(Could be a little dangerous if you use the starter and gas is still around!!). CRUDE method,but you can tell real quick if has low compression or not! If barely feel pressure on your thumb while pushing down tightly or wont "pop" it up, then save your money and pass on a compression tester,may have other problems. OPT

Old 07-13-2011, 05:29 PM
Trailblazer

ok so my dad had his thumb over plug hole while i pulled the pull start and he said there was loads of pressure.
i could not feel myself as he could not pull it himself hard enough so i am going on what he said.
i am thinking that i need to check the other electrical bits behind the flywheel but shall wait for your advise if you dont mind.

Quick Reply: 1993 trail boss 2x4 250