Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sold my ATV however... I forgot to let the other guy sign my proof of sale..

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 10:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sold my ATV however... I forgot to let the other guy sign my proof of sale..

Well, the proof of sale thing..
When you have two copies to proof of sale..
I gave him his paperwork for sold AS-IS

But i forgot to write out my part for him to sign..
I'm nervous what could happen?
Could he sue me? Or return it back and say he wants him money back?
He lives two hours away..
but im still nervous..
):

Someone tell me what could happen..
I do have a witness, and history of the text messages though..
This is serious..
thank you!

Old 07-13-2011, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

I believe a used vehicle sale is assumed "as is" unless you offered a warranty of some sort.

Old 07-14-2011, 02:57 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty sure you're safe. In the future I always have two copies made up ahead of time on things I am selling and I leave an open spot for the date of sale/buyer. If you have the buyer's cell number you could always contact him and have him take a pic of it with his phone and send it to you.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:14 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 165 Likes on 164 Posts

When I sold one of mine, I didn't sign a spot I needed to on the title. New owner called and I was more than happy to meet up with them. They might be willing to do the same thing.

If an issue did come up and he had to produce his copy, it's signed.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Had the same thing happen and, in this case, the seller met me at bookstore he was going to be near. Doesn't hurt to call.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:27 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kedonot1
Well, the proof of sale thing..
When you have two copies to proof of sale..
I gave him his paperwork for sold AS-IS

But i forgot to write out my part for him to sign..
I'm nervous what could happen?
Could he sue me? Or return it back and say he wants him money back?
He lives two hours away..
but im still nervous..
):

Someone tell me what could happen..
I do have a witness, and history of the text messages though..
This is serious..
thank you!

don't know about where you live, but here in mass, there is no "lemon" law for rv's like atv's and dirtbikes or vehicles sold under $700- there is no inspection requirment like on cars & trucks.
RV's are bought / sold as is and I always include (more for looks) "no warranty expressed or implied."
In this case, the bill of sale protects him more then you- you really don't need one. He'll need to prove the rv isn't stolen, or that he's the rightful owner.
You don't need to prove you sold it unless you're paying some kind of excise tax on it.
No big deal, no worries.

send me a pm and I'll sent you a bullet proof bill of sale you can use in the future if you want-

funny short story fer'ya- I've sold dozens of atv's, rv's & boats- every now and then I'd run into a clueless chooch...

I actually had a person want his money back 2 weeks after I sold him a jet ski for $2500- he said it smoked too much and the carb was ruined (2-stroke )

I told him to go pound sand and hung up the phone so, he shows up at my house at 10pm with the ski in tow and said he wasn't leaving till he got his money back (city boy forgot he was in the country)
I said "fair enough" and went back in the house- he starts yelling he's calling the cops- an hour late the pd shows up (didn't tell him I was a volunteer cop for the town )

So, dumb city boy gives the cop the bill of sale and says I never mentioned to him it smoked (common sense for a 2-stroke duh!) cop doesn't even look at it, hands it back, runs the trailer plate & reg (which is still in my name)- Cop askes the dumb city boy how he got the ski here (70 miles from his home)- he said he towed it here with his car (still hooked up to his car)... then the copp says "you bought this from him 2 weeks ago?" dumb city boy say's " yea, and I want my money back!"

The cop just shakes his head and impounds the ski & trailer for being on the road unregistered & unisured

I think I said maybe 5 words the entire time- it really was comical to watch, especially when he started screaming how he was going to sue me and make me pay for all the fee's

So- dumb city boy drove home with no ski, trailer or cash

never did hear from him again

Old 07-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Trailblazer

MOST Excellent!!!!

Old 07-14-2011, 04:13 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

in my state all i ever do is put "I sold one (what ever it is for a bike w/ year and vin# for $ amount as is,where is and sign it. not even writing my name so you can read it. some times i even put the date of the sale on it and thats it. never had any issues w/ any bike,motorcycle,snowmobile or even a car. of course a car/motorcycle needs a title as a wheeler does not.