Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Maxxis Bighorns

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bobx2
However, there may be a set of tracks in my future. Snow problem solved.
I can't argue that for a second.

One of the guys who lives here has a set of tracks for his 09 850 XP (?) and he LOVES them.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:19 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

Originally Posted by Specta
Carlisle ACTs, ACT HDs; STI Black Diamond XTRs and ATRs.

Right now I'm thinking the XTRs are the best tires I've had so far but haven't had them in much snow yet.
I had the 27" xtr's on my sp 800 and I liked them a lot. worked great plowing snow and clawing out of mud holes- Some riders say they tear too easy or can't take a rock- but that's all in the tire pressure and knowing how to ride over rocky terrain imo.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires

I have no idea about wether those will fit or not. But I have a theory on why ppl think the BHs are so good in the snow while some do not. I've came to the conclusion there are two schools of thought on snow travel regarding tires. Some subscribe to the high speed WOT theory, where you run basically a paddle tire that cleans out real well. Spinning and speed keep you moving forward between areas that have traction, or less snow at least. BH are not good for this type of riding, because the lugs are to close together.

The second theory is the low and slow theory, where you approach the snow conditons like some of the jeep guys. Lowering the pressure enough that the tire will just barely stay on the rim. And generally use a less aggressive tire with a bigger contact patch (usually a radial, because they have softer sidewalls). The low and slow crowd will hardly run any throttle at all, just barely staying off the clutch engagement RPM.

I think conditons dictate which theory I subscribe to. The higher the moisture content of the snow, the better the low and slow theory works (To an extent, ever heard of Alaskan quicksand??). When conditions are colder and drier the WOT, with a paddle tire works better.

I currentyly run XTRs on my 700 Popo, and ride mostly in the spring and fall, here in central ID. I don't think they work for either theory, so I'm tire shopping also.

Dylan

Old 08-24-2011, 07:58 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

Are these the same XTRs you guys had??

These are fairly new from STI. They are their Black Diamond XTRs.

They were disigned for SxS and at 2 1/2 psi I have found them to a great all around tire.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Specta

Are these the same XTRs you guys had??

These are fairly new from STI. They are their Black Diamond XTRs.

They were disigned for SxS and at 2 1/2 psi I have found them to a great all around tire.
I think everyone else is probably talking about the ITP Mudlite XTRs. I've had no issues with them. The only time I got stuck was in waist deep snow where I couldn't get down to firm ground. We learned to keep our tires away from the side of the packed trail.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

No mine are Mudlite XTRs. I have some ITP alum. wheels too. at anything below 14PSI (7psi is max according to the sidewall) the tires "slip" on the rims and then the tire dismounts itself (very aggravating in subzero temps 20mi from the truck) but I've gotten good at reseating the beads.Negates any efforts towards airing down for more traction. Also punched out a sidewall on a rock, my fault, but the sidewall should be thicker than a bicycle inner tube!! LOL The other thing I dislike about them is the fact that they don't have a rim protector, which seems like it should be a required feature on an ATV tire.

Since I'm poor (and not riding in snow right now) I've actually tried glueing the tires to the rims. If this doesn't work, and I can't get new tires and wheels by hunting season, I'm gonna try the ole' street racer trick and screw the wheels to the tires with wood screws!! EEK!!

Dylan

Old 08-24-2011, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Dylan Robinson
No mine are Mudlite XTRs. I have some ITP alum. wheels too. at anything below 14PSI (7psi is max according to the sidewall) the tires "slip" on the rims and then the tire dismounts itself (very aggravating in subzero temps 20mi from the truck) but I've gotten good at reseating the beads.Negates any efforts towards airing down for more traction. Also punched out a sidewall on a rock, my fault, but the sidewall should be thicker than a bicycle inner tube!! LOL The other thing I dislike about them is the fact that they don't have a rim protector, which seems like it should be a required feature on an ATV tire.

Since I'm poor (and not riding in snow right now) I've actually tried glueing the tires to the rims. If this doesn't work, and I can't get new tires and wheels by hunting season, I'm gonna try the ole' street racer trick and screw the wheels to the tires with wood screws!! EEK!!

Dylan
Haven't had any issues like this using the stock steel wheels on my X2. Been out in below zero weather with about 6 lbs. all around. Seems to be a good pressure for my application.

Old 08-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

My buddy always has a good laugh, and drives right around me with his 750 KQ w/27" Executioners. Exy's were one of my top picks, but they are more of the WOT type tires when it comes to snow. We've been in conditions where he'll be sitting on the frame and my popo will walk on around him using the low and slow theory (which seems to work the best with my machine, even though I'm not very low) But I've also been amazed at where his machine will go and when I'm having trouble. You wouldn't think there would be that much difference between machines but there is. There again I think it comes down to conditions. The STI Mud Trax look like a good tire, but no rim pocket.

Here I have rambled on and threadjacked!!

Sorry!

Dylan

Old 08-24-2011, 02:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

Have had up to three tires off the bead at one time. My brother in law, running stock carlisles on his 500 Popo was REALLY impressed!! Getting dark not real sure where the truck was, almost outta gas etc.etc.LOL

Dylan

Old 08-24-2011, 04:24 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

Originally Posted by Dylan Robinson
No mine are Mudlite XTRs. I have some ITP alum.
I've actually tried glueing the tires to the rims. If this doesn't work, and I can't get new tires and wheels by hunting season, I'm gonna try the ole' street racer trick and screw the wheels to the tires with wood screws!! EEK!!

Dylan
mine were itp xtr's also-

hey dylan- I hear if you heat that rim and tire bead up with a little propane before you glue it- it works great!

(hehehesmiley)

Quick Reply: Maxxis Bighorns