Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Maxxis Bighorns

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maxxis Bighorns

Just purchased a new set of 26" Maxiss Bighorns for my 2011 850 XP. First of all, will they fit on stock rims or do I need to purchase new wheels as well? Next question for those who run these tires, how do they perform in the snow?

Thanks

Old 08-22-2011, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't help you about whether or not they fit but as far as the snow goes there are a lot of tires out there that are a lot better in the snow than the BHs.

Here's a good friend of mine back in May of this year. He's riding a 750 with a locking front diff and brand new BHs; in fact his ATV had less than 40 miles on it.

Mark - YouTube

I'm sitting on the top of the hill after breaking the path with my 3 1/2-wd Honda Rubicon with Carlisle ACT HDs.

It took a second try for me too to get ofer that log that my friend can't get over. I hiked back down and moved the log out if his way.

My BHs rode smooth and lasted a long time but when the going gets tough I'd look for a different tire.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:12 PM
Range Rover
Thumbs up

They will mount up just fine on your stock wheels. I have 26-9-14 on the front and 26-11-14 on the rear. They fit perfect. As to using them in the snow, I haven't seen a tire that works better. With the 850 you can maintain high wheel speed and they work almost like a paddle tire in deep snow. Terrific all around tire. I have ridden over 2,600 mile on BH's in Colo. and on the slick rock of Utah and never wished for a different tire. It is by far the most popular aftermarket tire in the Rocky Mountain region in Colorado. I've run them on my '07 800 X2, wifes '09 500 and now on my '11 XP 850 EPS

Old 08-22-2011, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

Had them on my Teryx and RZR and they suck in the snow.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:44 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

Originally Posted by roadiestar
Had them on my Teryx and RZR and they suck in the snow.

then again... this is coming from the guy who- ahhhh never mind- it's too easy

but... let’s just say if tire plugs were a commodity, roadie would’ve made me a million bucks

Old 08-22-2011, 06:47 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

oh, and I agree with roadie & specta

Old 08-22-2011, 07:54 PM
Trailblazer

thanks for the reply guys, I have a few buddies and they swear by them in all types of terrain, kind of having my doubts about their snow ability now, but will find out in a few months.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by williamk
but will find out in a few months.
I'm looking forward to the snow too, I love riding in it.

there are better but you'll be fine

Old 08-23-2011, 11:48 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by williamk
thanks for the reply guys, I have a few buddies and they swear by them in all types of terrain, kind of having my doubts about their snow ability now, but will find out in a few months.
Listen to your buddies. They are right on the money, and have no doubts about the snow abilities of this tire. It is outstanding in the snow. In a few months you will agree.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:20 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not sure how BHs got soo popular other than a very aggressive add campaign.

Almost any aftermarket tire will outperform most OE tires and when you bolt on a set of BHs they feel better than the OEs. Once you see the improvement most people feel that they are the best tires they have ever had which they are.

I wish folks could try a few different tires before they buy. I guarantee that if they could compare tires side by side BHs sales would drop considerably.

Two reasons the BHs aren't "great" snow tires is that the rubber compound is hard and gets even harder when cold; that’s why "winter" tires are made of a soft rubber compound so they grip the snow, same thing applies to "rock" tires like they use on rock buggies, soft rubber grips better than hard rubber.

BHs have big square lugs but not a lot of space in-between them so they cannot move a lot of snow. Watch my video and see how little snow they actually throw.

I thought my BHs were the greatest until I replaced them with tires that outperformed the BHs in every category except for mileage.

Quick Reply: Maxxis Bighorns