Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2 stroke ATV with Modern suspension and Liquid cooled

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its a fact 4 strokes carry farther. if the 4 strokes arent bothering you its because you either arent letting them bother you or they're running quiet exhausts

Old 09-16-2011, 04:42 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mywifesquad
But it must be a stock exhaust.. or a aftermarket one that is quieter than stock.. dont think they sell many of them here in Ca..

I personally love the sound of a Banshee on the gas ripping a dune to shred's...

Or my CR500 climbing a hill..

mostly stock pipes around here- every now and then you catch an obnoxious white bros or tricked out fmf- and you know someone is calling the police to complain.

I have no problem with loud pipes in a pit, desert or mx track arena, but in a residential area where law is watching, and political groups want to ban everything with a motor- a loud pipe is not the best idea.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:45 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

Originally Posted by sportszillasheex
its a fact 4 strokes carry farther. if the 4 strokes arent bothering you its because you either arent letting them bother you or they're running quiet exhausts
like I said- a stock 4 stroke might carry a tone- but within a few hundred feet- same rpm- all you're gonna hear is the db of the 2 stroke.

it's all about the db- not the tone.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:47 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

time to fix dinner for the kids

Old 09-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

unbelievable. what difference does it make if its a quad or bike. a 4 strokes deep "bark" carries twice as far, look it up. while you're at it you can do some research on track closures because of the 4 stroke noise. and you might not like the sound of 2 strokes, but they cant be heard from as far away. i was miles away from a motocross track when the quads were running and i can hear them clear as day. never heard the 2 strokes from that far away
I'm going by my own ears. I prefer a low rumble to a high pitched screech. A screech carries farther because it is a higher frequency sound. I have heard 4 stroke bikes that are loud and if someone changes the pipe on a utility machine they can get loud too. MX bikes all seem to have fewer restrictions on the pipes they can run. If you put pipes on with similar sound dampening qualities cc per cc a 2 stroke will be heard from further away. It's the difference between an old guy snoring (low) and an infant screaming (high) on a jet. Just my .02 worth. You can claim facts all you want. I've never seen anything or heard anything where a 4 stroke is considered louder than a similar sized 2 stroke. I'm still only talking about my own experiences and I've seen trails closed because of loud whiny quads and bikes. The landowner won't even talk to our club anymore because of the 2 strokes. We first limited it to quads only as the MX bikes were loud. But, the 2 stroke quads put the landowner over the top and this section of trail that connected two huge loops is closed as long as the landowner has breath in his lungs. He has the right. It's his property and this is what he gave as reasons for closing. The whine.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

finmally somebody educated replies. hey moose, how do u make a pipe that fits a 2 stroke AND a 4 stroke?
Ah, I get it. Someone is educated if they agree with you and it's "unbelievable" if they don't. All I'm sharing is my own experiences in the woods of New England and having to deal with the landowners who own the property the trails go through. You can agree or disagree. It's not going to change my experiences and observations. I've seen what I've seen and I've heard what I've heard. I can't change that.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:15 PM

well 4 strokes are closing tracks not 2 strokes. 2 strokes are higher pitched and that might not sound so good to some up close, but atleast its considerably quieter from a distance

Old 09-16-2011, 07:12 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

well 4 strokes are closing tracks not 2 strokes. 2 strokes are higher pitched and that might not sound so good to some up close, but atleast its considerably quieter from a distance
they just closed a 2 stroke outdoor mx track a few years ago here in uxbridge, ma because of the noise pollution.

not only was the track in on an idustrialized highway- but the closest house was over 1000' from the track... they said the noise was "unbearable".... all 2 strokes.

Old 09-16-2011, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by beergut
they just closed a 2 stroke outdoor mx track a few years ago here in uxbridge, ma because of the noise pollution.

not only was the track in on an idustrialized highway- but the closest house was over 1000' from the track... they said the noise was "unbearable".... all 2 strokes.
yes i get that, but its happening now with 4 strokes more then it has when it was just 2 strokes. a "2 stroke outdoor track" well thats new!

Old 09-16-2011, 09:30 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

yes i get that, but its happening now with 4 strokes more then it has when it was just 2 strokes. a "2 stroke outdoor track" well thats new!
what's new about it it was single track mx.
every bike there was two stroke- I rode there often.

nothing new about it.

Quick Reply: 2 stroke ATV with Modern suspension and Liquid cooled