Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2 stroke ATV with Modern suspension and Liquid cooled

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 10:57 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by beergut
don't know- no 4 strokes around- (maybe one of every 20) but they were not complaining about 4 stroke bikes- they were complaining about noise & smell of the 2 stroke bikes-

I'd take the low tone & db of 4s any day over the noise 2s noise.
put the stock pipe back on the 300 ex- bye bye head ache.
Same thing down here: we have(or rather had) about a 60 acre low lying area of land around our nearby lake run by the Army Corps of Engineers that had been open since the 60's that everyone used to ride bikes and was closed about four years ago when a couple purchased a parcel of farmland just above this area and built a home. Constant complaining about the smell and "sounds like a giant bee hive" RUINED their peaceful weekends as written in the local paper and without any notice this spot was closed and fenced off by the Corp of Engineers forbidding ANY off road use! It only takes ONE complaint and rights can be taken away! I been around bikes for over 45 years and we sold KTM,Husky,Husaberg and great strides have been made in improvement on 4 stroke design,power and noise reducing exhaust systems,but seemed like the 2-stroke division began to be treated as a "step child" and less improvements on technology plus selection has been cut down drastically EACH year! This is just from what I've seen and been around and honestly believe 2-strokes have basically advanced as far as they can and for whatever reasons,EPA requirements,pollution,noise,they will be PHASED out! Just my OPT

Old 09-17-2011, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im not in a corner at all tough guy. the 800 thread you didnt know how to read. here you have no idea what you're talking about. a 4 stroke mx bike is louder then a 2 stroke mx bike..........from farther away. up close they're both just loud. i can go in my neighbors feild with my banshee and you may not hear it... if i take the ds.. you hear that! both have aftermarket pipes and up close the banshee is atleast as loud

Old 09-17-2011, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Same thing down here: we have(or rather had) about a 60 acre low lying area of land around our nearby lake run by the Army Corps of Engineers that had been open since the 60's that everyone used to ride bikes and was closed about four years ago when a couple purchased a parcel of farmland just above this area and built a home. Constant complaining about the smell and "sounds like a giant bee hive" RUINED their peaceful weekends as written in the local paper and without any notice this spot was closed and fenced off by the Corp of Engineers forbidding ANY off road use! It only takes ONE complaint and rights can be taken away! I been around bikes for over 45 years and we sold KTM,Husky,Husaberg and great strides have been made in improvement on 4 stroke design,power and noise reducing exhaust systems,but seemed like the 2-stroke division began to be treated as a "step child" and less improvements on technology plus selection has been cut down drastically EACH year! This is just from what I've seen and been around and honestly believe 2-strokes have basically advanced as far as they can and for whatever reasons,EPA requirements,pollution,noise,they will be PHASED out! Just my OPT

2 strokes can be epa compliant, they just choose not to just as you said. yes 2 and 4 strokes probably both cause problems. a loud bike is a loud bike. all i know is what i know and since 4 strokes took over, mx tracks have been closing more frequently

Old 09-17-2011, 11:13 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by sportszillasheex
2 strokes can be epa compliant, they just choose not to just as you said.
Again, I won't argue that they couldn't. But what would it cost? And who pays that cost? And even then, the epa could come back and say at a later time that wasn't good enough. Then what? That's a lot of money to be out of.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
Again, I won't argue that they couldn't. But what would it cost? And who pays that cost? And even then, the epa could come back and say at a later time that wasn't good enough. Then what? That's a lot of money to be out of.

true. my big thing is i want everybody to have a choice. im big time against getting rid of 2 strokes. i love both!

Old 09-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope this thread gets civil real soon.........

Old 09-17-2011, 12:00 PM

i think it has been..

Old 09-17-2011, 02:59 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts

mostly stock pipes around here- every now and then you catch an obnoxious white bros or tricked out fmf- and you know someone is calling the police to complain.

I have no problem with loud pipes in a pit, desert or mx track arena, but in a residential area where law is watching, and political groups want to ban everything with a motor- a loud pipe is not the best idea.
All my rides are under the required DB level..my 2 strokes need to be 99db or under and the 250,s check at 94..my CR500 is 97 db and thats with a lot of mods..

Agreed...

Old 09-17-2011, 03:00 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

they just closed a 2 stroke outdoor mx track a few years ago here in uxbridge, ma because of the noise pollution.

not only was the track in on an idustrialized highway- but the closest house was over 1000' from the track... they said the noise was "unbearable".... all 2 strokes.
Must have been over 10 yrs ago..

Old 09-17-2011, 03:05 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Comparing a KX 125 to a 650 quad is like comparing a apple to a orange..

Bottom line is a 90 db loud thumper will be heard farther away than a 90 db loud 2 stroke..

Quick Reply: 2 stroke ATV with Modern suspension and Liquid cooled