Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

my new ATV

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bobx2
just guessing the brake in your winch failed from the shock loading from bouncing around with the plow on it.
that's good to know - thanks

Old 12-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bobx2
I don't know for sure, but just guessing the brake in your winch failed from the shock loading from bouncing around with the plow on it. Every time you hit a bump the plow will bounce up and when it comes down it is jerking on the winch brake, something that you should never do. When you get your new winch, I would be sure to take the plow off before taking a joy ride.
Just my thoughts for what it's worth.
Thanks for the tip, you could be right but it happened only 200 ft into the field for the very first time, it was fairly smooth too and I don't think the winch sounded right the first few times I lifted the plow, the bike only had 2 miles on it when this happened, the new one has been good so far but I will take your advice and not joy ride with the plow on.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Specta
Nope. It has not worked twice. After running if a short bit it comes back on.

Until it quits altogether I'll just kee riding it.

This would not detour me from getting EPS.

No just from getting a Polaris , there's no way you should be having a problem with it already . How many problems with the power steering could someone like me expect to have putting on 3000 to 5000 miles a year when your already having problems at what 350 miles ? , I'm thinking too many . I'm following this thread with much interest keep riding safe and thanks for the info your providing .

Old 12-19-2011, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

One thing that I do like about the "on-denmand" 4-wd is that the front end locks without having to push buttons or pull levers and it is not "goverend".

Old 12-20-2011, 07:19 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

One thing that I do like about the "on-denmand" 4-wd is that the front end locks without having to push buttons or pull levers and it is not "goverend".
I've always liked that. It's just nice and easy. I'm not saying I can't figure out the other systems, it's just nice to not have to fool around with too much.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:48 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I've always liked that. It's just nice and easy. I'm not saying I can't figure out the other systems, it's just nice to not have to fool around with too much.
Same reason I like the viscous coupler in CanAm front ends

Old 12-20-2011, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Same reason I like the viscous coupler in CanAm front ends
I haven't tried out one of the newer CanAms yet with the Quick Engagement locker. I didn't like how it took some time for the older models to engage.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:37 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I haven't tried out one of the newer CanAms yet with the Quick Engagement locker. I didn't like how it took some time for the older models to engage.

my 09 outty has instant lock-up. I always pay attention to that because people who had previous models complained about that. I likke to be confident when I tell people my 09 front diff locks up nice.

there is a different way to ride a visco compared to the popo's awd and other electronic lock-ups, though- and a lot of people simply don't understand this concept- it's a different system with a whole new concept- the visco requires a steady throttle for quick engagment- you can't "creep" into a hole just burping the throttle or the visco wont engage. With other fron't lockers like on the grizz & zuki- it's electronic- so it's engaged as soon as you turn it on- even if you're not moving where as the can-am visco requires drive train in motion. On an outty / rene- you hit the hole with the drivetrain in motion and if the tirs start to slip you'll get instand visco lock.

that's why a hate that insipid youtube video of the guy driving a popo & a can-am up a wall to demonstrate the front locker He just burps the can-am throttle, never allowing the locker to engage.- and as soon as it starts to lock in he releases the throttle- and the visco unlocks. Basically he has no clue how to ride a can-am. sorry for my mini rant

Old 12-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by beergut
Basically he has no clue how to ride a can-am.
I do and I like it. I would have no problems with it at all.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:36 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

I do and I like it. I would have no problems with it at all.
not you specta

I was talking about the donkey in that video