Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

my new ATV

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 07:45 PM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Specta
I will be trading for an 850 down the road, not making it back home is the only thing that scares me.

After riding this one I seriously doubt that I would ever buy an ATV without EPS, it's a great addition.

I've had Big Horns and I am not a big fan of them. They lasted a long time but thats about it. IMO they don't handle all that well and have poor lateral control. I think there are a lot better tires out there than the Big Horns.

I've only taken my ATV to Moab once and had a great time. Years ago we used to do the Easter Jeep Safari with our 4-wds until it got too crowded.

We live in the Rocky Mountains and I think you can see where they got their name.

100% agree about the big horns- very poor handling. gotta really pump'em up.
I'd love to have ps on my 09 outty 650- I think they make a unit for it but, would be hard to explain that expense to the wife

That xp850 is a powerful engine- one of the things I liked about my xp850 was how it was a very comfortable atv to jump (considering its size) Very controlable / comfortable catching 5-10' of air.

Old 10-28-2011, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

Originally Posted by beergut
That xp850 is a powerful engine- one of the things I liked about my xp850 was how it was a very comfortable atv to jump (considering its size) Very controlable / comfortable catching 5-10' of air.
The only air mine will see is if it leaves me stranded and I throw it off a cliff.

Old 10-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

4 things I do like so far:

1. EPS, I really like the power steering.
2. Storage - I like how much storage it has without having to add any to it.
3. Ignition switch: No starter button. For some reason I like that too.
4. No choke.

The last couple of mornings have been in the low 20s and its nice to start it and walk away.

Old 10-30-2011, 08:29 AM
Pro Rider

A couple of things that will take some getting used to:

1. I keep reaching for the front bakes, the one on the right that isn't there.
2. Its like driving something that you feel you need to keep shifting into a higher gear.
3. Not knocking the shifter into neutral with my knee while backing down steep hills.
4. The way it sounds.
5. Not using the foot brake.

I will never understand only one brake lever. Polaris feels that since cars only need one brake pedal then ATVs only need one brake lever.

Polaris has greatly improved the transmission shifting. This one shifts between positions pretty darn smooth compaired to the old ones.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice new machine you've got there Specta. I'll bet it gets put to the test, I'll be interested in reading your reports on how it does.

I hear what you're saying about the single lever braking. I've ridden dirt bikes, sport ATVs, and Japanese utility ATVs my whole life, and just bought a Can Am Outlander 1000 this fall. I'm still grasping at air with my right hand because there is no front brake lever. Single lever braking is an entry level braking system, for people that have never ridden before, and might have a hard time deciding which lever to pull. If manufacturers want to use an entry level braking system, then put the entry level braking system on entry level machines. For Polaris, put the entry level braking system on their Sportsman 400. But put a performance level braking system on their performance level machines, like their XP line up. For Can Am, put the entry level braking system on their DS 250. But definitely put a performance level braking system on their 1000 cc ATVs. Single lever braking can be kind of dangerous on these higher performance ATVs.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Specta
A couple of things that will take some getting used to:

1. I keep reaching for the front bakes, the one on the right that isn't there.
2. Its like driving something that you feel you need to keep shifting into a higher gear.
3. Not knocking the shifter into neutral with my knee while backing down steep hills.
4. The way it sounds.
5. Not using the foot brake.

I will never understand only one brake lever. Polaris feels that since cars only need one brake pedal then ATVs only need one brake lever.

Polaris has greatly improved the transmission shifting. This one shifts between positions pretty darn smooth compaired to the old ones.
#2: biggest thing i am getting used to on my 05 atp vs my rubicon and rancher is the rpms. polaris has their drivetrain set up so the engine revs much higher than a honda, and i also feel like i need to shift to a higher gear to lower the rpms.

Old 10-30-2011, 01:16 PM
Pro Rider

Just a quick note on the down side is that it's not mine so I can't remove all the warning labels.

Old 10-30-2011, 02:57 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You get the machine for what one year ? How many test miles do you figure your get on it in that time ? I'll be following your progress since I do 3000 to 5000 miles a year your long term test will help me decide on my next machine . I always thought Polaris should give me a test machine for free

Old 10-30-2011, 08:43 PM
Pro Rider

2-3000 miles, I'm hoping its trouble free. Lots of things to like with huge improvement over the 500s.

Who better to woo than someone who is not sold on your product??

Old 10-30-2011, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

Put some different tires on today, those OE tires like most others had to go.

Put on a set of Carlisle ACTs, one of my favorite tires. One of the things that make these such great tires is the soft rubber compound that greatly improves traction but also causes them to wear quickly.

Big improvement in handling and in the snow.