Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2004 Sportsman engine issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 02:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Sportsman engine issue

2004 sportsman 700 twin. When I was riding the other day everything was sounding great. I just had major maintenance done to make sure everything was in working order. They did rebuild the carb. As I was riding I began to hear a sound like nuts and bolt were rattling around in the engine or transmission along with power loss to eventually shutting down. After a short period of time it would fire right up and idle fine other than slight nuts and bolts noise. When you give it power the noise get loud then shuts off. I appears to be coming from the lower portion, like where the stator is located, but its hard to tell, it could be the engine. Oil was low but not empty. You would have figured they would have filled the oil to the proper level after a major tune up. there is no indication of an oil leak or the burning of oil. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

Old 11-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

welcome to the forum. i would consider taking it back to the dealer if you just got it form all the work and ask them whats up? could be bad cam chain or adjuster making it rattle or worse jump timing? bad crank bearing form lack of oil, bad oil pump it could be alot of differnt things. just guessing w/ out hearing it. keep us posted if you find out

Old 11-05-2011, 09:02 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by shen7
2004 sportsman 700 twin. When I was riding the other day everything was sounding great. I just had major maintenance done to make sure everything was in working order. They did rebuild the carb. As I was riding I began to hear a sound like nuts and bolt were rattling around in the engine or transmission along with power loss to eventually shutting down. After a short period of time it would fire right up and idle fine other than slight nuts and bolts noise. When you give it power the noise get loud then shuts off. I appears to be coming from the lower portion, like where the stator is located, but its hard to tell, it could be the engine. Oil was low but not empty. You would have figured they would have filled the oil to the proper level after a major tune up. there is no indication of an oil leak or the burning of oil. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve
Just check under the front panel and see if you have a separate cdi and ignition coil.If you just have a "coil pack" that has the plug wires out of and says DUCATI,the ignition could be failing and there is an update kit for this.There were two different build dates on this model. Could be the source of the noise as this controls ignition timing and could cause a rattling sound in the engine if timing is getting erratic because of the ignition system!. Also around the stator area are the all the gears: cam gear,crank gear, counter balancer gear,oil pump gear that all work together.Also noise in the lower area travels and could be clutch/belt related?
Could be a problem there,but check the ignition first,especially since its shutting off on you! OPT

Old 11-07-2011, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider

Surprise Surprise..... another failed Ducati ignition........

Old 11-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the input. Ill keep you posted.

Steve

Old 11-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

too bad they didn't do a recall. oh but that would cost them money don't you know!