Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Snow plow warning flasher light Any Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snow plow warning flasher light Any Ideas?

I Just got a plow on the 2007 sp800x2 and want to rig up a warning flasher for the back. The little x2 bed has the 4 holes on each corner that i think are for lock and ride accessories?

I was thinking about some kind of standard rotary light, amber maybee, or LED?

I did a little looking online and see most of them are magnet mount. I want to rig up some kind of short post that would fit into one of the rear corner holes, and be removable. I could make a wiring plug with a male/female connection.

I thought I could wire it into my reverse backup light that has its own switch, and run the backup lights and the warning light together?? I dont know what the warning lights draw, but I would think the circuit would handle both.

Im just brainstorming for a few days and would appreciate any ideas?? especially what lights you all use, and who sells them

Thanks cscotter

Old 11-25-2011, 06:20 AM
I haven't been stuck since the last time!

Should be able to go to about any parts store or even walmart and buy an amber rotary light with a 12v plug on the end that will plug directly into the 12v accessory port!

Old 11-25-2011, 06:24 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i know a good amount of the amber plow lights have a plug ont hem that goes into the access plug that is in your pod so all you have to do is plug it in. how ever i am guessing that the newer style(non rotary) draw a good amount of power so you may want to check the draw onthem first. you could take a flat piece of steel and bolt or weld it to a pole for the maget mount to slide into the pocket you mentioned? not sure what your set up is. if you could find some kind of led type light would be even better as they don't draw much juice at all.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:05 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a cheap light that plugs into the cigarette lighter/power port. I run the wire under the seat to keep it out of the way. It has a magnet mount but there's mo metal to stick it to so I just use 2 bungee cords around it to strap it down to the rack.

Old 11-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Range Rover
Default Heres what I wound up doing for a light

I got a Amber Strobe from the auto parts store. Found a piece of heavy wall black sprinkler pipe, and some all thread in the garage. I cut the cigarete lighter cord off and attached a quick disconnect wire plug to the strobe cord. This way I can remove it easily. 2 screws to take the taillight off then I can loosen up the all thread nut/ pull the light off/ and then just unplug it. I used the remainder of the 10 foot light cord and ran it through the flexible wiring conduit up to the headlight pod. Tomorrow when the dealership opens back up, im going to pick up one of those rectangular switches that are made to fit in the pod knockouts.

Attached Thumbnails Snow plow warning flasher light   Any Ideas?-plow-light-003.jpg   Snow plow warning flasher light   Any Ideas?-plow-light-002.jpg   Snow plow warning flasher light   Any Ideas?-plow-light-001.jpg  
Old 11-26-2011, 10:10 AM
"Official Site Skeptic"

Don;t overlook the LED strobes @ Walmart for bicycles. Cheap and effective. I use two for past 4 yrs. Very visible.

Old 12-07-2011, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got some from Ebay...5 bucks a pair...very bright and low electical draw...but i like the wal-mart bicycle LED idea fer sure .
I put them on the front and planned to do the rear for plow season but the bicycle LED idea may win over since the rerars are only used for plowing ...mostly.
the front set I use "recreationally" but rears would only serve to irritate the guy behind ya ! lol (and battery powered ones would do that just fine ROFL)