Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 700 stalling problem

Old 03-20-2016, 07:03 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, well, here we go again. I got my '02 700 back from the dealership doing some minor repairs last fall, when I posted last time and since we had a wet, sloppy winter and no snow, I didn't get it out much. The first real time I go to use it a couple days ago, it's stalling again. This time, though, I have better information and I can duplicate the stall. It happens with turning to the left and only after warm and with the headlights on. Headlights off and I can turn left all day long. I can sit at an idle, turn on the headlights, go to turn the handlebars to the left and it stalls out, like I turned off the key. When I turn right, I can't get it to do a thing.

I'm guessing it's in the switch or a wire going to it, but wanted to post this before I tear into this and just throw a part at it.

Old 03-20-2016, 10:27 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Left control switch internal shorts or a short in the wiring leading down the bars into the pod area were the most common areas for shorts. Plus with headlights on when it happens, check the yellow,green and ground wiring leading to the high beam and low beam lights.If no bare wires or ground wire faults found when this happens,then wouldn't over rule the switch itself as being the problem.

Old 07-16-2017, 03:39 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Polaris 700

@ old Polaris tech and anyone else. I have a 03 Polaris 700. When I ride it at full throttle it will die out like it looses fuel, it doesn't die all the way just back to idle. I have to stop let the carb catch up and than get going again. Do you know what it could be. I have replaced the fuel pump (not Polaris brand) not sure If that matters, with one off eBay and it got worse. Now the bike will idle fine like befor but anytime I give it gas it spits and sputters and barely moves on it's own. Is their anything y'all recommend me to do. Thank you

Old 07-16-2017, 08:40 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

First off pull the fuel line from the carb and crank the engine over. Should be a steady stream of fuel. If it still has the Ducati ignition this can be the cause of the spit and sputtering. This is one of the symptoms when the ignition was starting to go out.Others symptoms were hard starting, fouling plugs,back firing and some would run fine until you killed them only to not have them start back up again.

Old 07-16-2017, 06:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
First off pull the fuel line from the carb and crank the engine over. Should be a steady stream of fuel. If it still has the Ducati ignition this can be the cause of the spit and sputtering. This is one of the symptoms when the ignition was starting to go out.Others symptoms were hard starting, fouling plugs,back firing and some would run fine until you killed them only to not have them start back up again.
thank you steady stream of fuel hues I'm gonna have to replace ignition system can I buy it at dealer or online best

Old 07-17-2017, 02:14 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Figured it would come down to that. Babbitts has the cheapest price I've found.Polaris 2202602 - Kit, Ignition : Babbitts Polaris Partshouse Plus here's the best video on hooking the updated kit up.

Old 10-15-2020, 06:10 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default DirtDevil

I realize this is a “old” thread by now but recently I’ve picked up an ‘04 700 sportsman (carb). I was aware of the Ducati ignition issues but prior to handing over cash, I looked under the panel and saw there was an upgrade with the KOKUSAN components and figured I was fine. After I got it home and a few issues sorted out (brakes & frozen shift lever) I took my lil guy out for a quick ride to unfortunately to run into it eventually sputtering and loosing power Until it died. We waited a while and it fired right up and we made it back home. It’s since done it a few more times (every time it’s been ridden). I live in Alaska and needless to say there’s a plethora of mud, silt and it gets packed into EVERYWHERE wether you want it to or not. So I cleaned out the rad to where I could see light through it, the fan cycles on and off intermittently but I’m lost as to why it’s sputtering, loosing power and dying along with POOR fuel consumption. Anyone have any ideas?