Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportman 800 clutch install

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 11:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportman 800 clutch install

Since my bike developed a hard shifting issue that fixed itself after a week of sitting i have decided to replace/upgrade the clutch and belt. Also others have mentioned about a fiber washer with the one way bearing which i plan to replace also.

I havent yet pulled anything apart, but will in a week after the parts arrive. So my question is Whom has done this and what special tools did you need? a puller? This will be my first time poping the cover off and since i am second owner i have no history on when anything was done last. I am a fairly confident mechanic, but not an actual mechanic...i just like to play one in my own garage.
any tips or incit would be much appreciated.

Old 12-07-2011, 04:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

You have to have a clutch puller and a spider tool to service the front clutch.You can get the puller for less than 30 bucks and some have even made their own. Just found the spider tool for about the same price as the puller at a couple places,about 60 bucks for the tools,plus the repair parts.Check around there may be some cheaper sources? OPT

Old 12-07-2011, 04:50 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

need special tools to pull the clutch apart and a puller to get it off, so you might want to have some one w/ the tools to replace the parts. just a thought.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Pro Rider

OPT...were these online that you found them for$60, i dont mind spending some money on tools....never know when you will need them again.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

what year is yor 800? I bought the spider tool at Victor Specialty tool a few years ago, the holding fixture was $75 and thespider tool was $35

Old 12-07-2011, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

Old 12-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by 1eep
OPT...were these online that you found them for$60, i dont mind spending some money on tools....never know when you will need them again.
Dealers usually have the pullers in stock OR you can purchase them both online(just google Polaris spider tool,clutch puller!) several online places to get em! As far as the clutch holder,I quit using em myself when I almost broke my arm when I had a base break! Instructions I'm giving you, you can take with a grain of salt! IF you have strong hands OR a helper you can break the clutch loose with just the spider tool and a 1/2" impact!(you may have to have a 3/4' to 1/2" adapter for the spider tool if it has a 3/4"opening!) Just use the puller to remove the clutch:1"socket on the puller with an impact and will pop off usually with no problems. Remove the bolts on cover(mark cover and clutch if cover doesn't have an X mark to line back up correctly!),remove cover and the spring.
The spider tool fits over the inner clutch spider where the six (6) clutch buttons are. While holding the spider tool on this,hold the rear of the clutch at the fins(Just your hand or with a helper Then hit it with the impact counter clock wise! After about 4 good impacts they usually break loose(at least for me they did!) STOP when it breaks loose,remove the tool and start to unscrew further. As it unscrews,be prepared to pull out the clutch buttons as they become exposed(rubber side of buttons go inwards). Then unscrew all the way and remove the spider. The clutch sheaths can now be pulled apart.
In front of the one way is a cap with a washer inside(if original,should be brass and usually worn) replacement is steel! Pull the cap off exposing the one way. Slowly pull the one way off and QUICKLY replace the fiber washer with a new one,slide the one way back partially on the shaft(this is to keep the small bearings and steel retainer springs from falling out!) lightly grease the shaft and slide it back on. Replace the cap with the new washer. Screw the spider back on about 3-4 turns lining up the X mark on the spider with the x on the clutch sheath(x mark by the counter weight) Allow room to reinstall buttons.Best way I found was using two small c-clamp vice grips to hold two sides of the buttons LIGHTLY in place,while guiding one set by hand! When lined up,hold inside sheath with both hands,the squeeze spider down. The c-clamps will pop off out of the way and the buttons are then seated in place! HOLD the spider and sheath tight and screw the back part of the clutch clockwise until it bottoms out! Then the clutch can then slide up and down! Hold rear of clutch again,place spider tool over the clutch and impact TIGHT!!! Replace spring and cover. This is my way of working on the front clutch and NEVER had a problem,BUT is hell on the hands! Once or twice ain't gonna kill you,but after 22 years it didn't help my arthritis any! My fingers are really tired now from typing! Again you can try it this way OR buy the clutch holder base along with the puller and spider tool! Good luck either way! OPT

Old 12-08-2011, 06:40 AM
Pro Rider

thanks for the instructions! Now i really need to pull the cover and see this as i was picturing a clutch basket similiar to a motorcycle and this sounds totaly different.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:50 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Pull the cover and while in neutral rev the engine a little! You will see how it works! Little bit different than just pulling out clutch plates! OPT

Old 12-12-2011, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by 1eep
I've got a PCP-1 puller and a secondary tool from when I installed my EPI kit. I'd gladly let you borrow them but by the time you drive down here in that purdy lil' truck of yours you'll have spent $60 in gas

Quick Reply: Sportman 800 clutch install