Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

05 sportsman 90 starter drive

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 09:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

still at it . I bought a new drive and compared it to the old one . I could not see a visual difference but at this point I put it in anyway . same deal . New battery , new starter and new starter drive . I still suspect the battery ? I put the volt meter on it and it showed 11.36 v When I pushed the starter button it dropped like a rock down to 6.?? . I will put a 1 amp charger on it and check it later . This is a wal mart 5L battery that I have had now for around 3 months . Is a battery a battery or would a polaris battery be a better option ? I am trying to get it all working correctly to sell because the kid needs something a little bigger so I hate to keep spending more on a battery if I don't need to .

Thank you for your time and help.

Old 03-06-2012, 12:04 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

New battery should spin it over regardless what brand,even the Walmart Everstart! Still something is pulling the battery down,in a bind, whether it's in the starter drive,starter or even the little starter relay under the seat?? OPT

Old 03-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Trailblazer

Is that relay something I can test with a meter ? At this point they can't be that expensive are they ? Should my local polaris dealer or a automotive parts store have one in stock ? Thanks again I really appreciate your help .

Old 03-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You can just do a simple test light check that power is going through the starter relay to the starter. If starter connetion constantly lights up when you hit the start button,then the relays not sticking. It's about 48 dollars at Cycle parts warehouse. Plus is the starter inter lock switch on the brake operating properly,brake light comes on every time you try to start it? These are just two problems that can happen, but shouldn't drag a battery down. If bad they just wont allow power to the starter. Just do like they used to do on the old Honda cdis,just unplug the relay,drop it on the floor and hook it back up!Still with a new battery,starter,and starter drive that's dragging a new battery down, still sounds like somethings binding in the idle/start gear area? OPT

Old 03-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Trailblazer

Here is what I have with the test light :

tail light comes on with the hand brake

key off
solenoid un plugged

Heavy red wire hot
green w yellow hot
small red -
blue w white -

key on

heavy red hot
grn w yel -
sm red -
bl w yel -

key on
solenoid plugged in
without pushing start switch

hvy red hot
sm red -
grn w yel -
bl w wh -

solenoid plugged in
pushing the yellow start switch

hvy red hot but dims as switch is pushed
sm red -
grn w yel -
bl w wht hot

Does any of this help or have I just bored the heck out of you ? !!!

thank you for your help

Old 03-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Last part where you said the red wire dims when trying to start caught my attention! Still either sounds like the relay is bad(or short in wiring) or something is still binding in the starter section, starter idle gear,etc even with a new starter? OPT

Old 03-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Trailblazer

forgot to add . with the test light on the starter terminal the light is very dim . just glows the end of the element in bulb. The wired fuse that comes of the battery looks fine . It sounds like I need to pull off more plastic and trace red wires . What does the glass fused wire off the battery control ?

Thank you

Old 03-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The fuse is for the main power to the atv from the battery. Just check the fuse holder ends,but as you say the light is dim at the at the starter with the test light, then either you need to do some tracing wires for shorts or the relay is defective,not allowing full current to starter.. OPT