Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Tired of tires going flat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

back when i ran heavy equipment such as Caterpillar front end loaders, we'd put a gallon or two of coolant in the tires, when it's not beaded up, to help keep the inside of the wheel from oxidizing from the wet air inside. plus it did lubricate the bead a little under the extreme weight. for some of the smaller front end loaders, we put liquid calcium in the rear tires for weight.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NoJoke
The Slime labeling claims it is non-toxic.......
Ethylene glycol is the "old" green cooland tha propylene glycol is the newer extended life coolant that they claim is less or "none" toxic.

The MSDS (material safety data sheet) lists 40-60% propylene glycol by weight.

Personally I wouldn't drink Slime either.

http://www.slime.com/wp-content/uplo...t-New-MSDS.pdf

Old 01-06-2012, 10:31 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

Originally Posted by Spdecat
Why not take the tire in and get the leak fixed ?

Old 01-06-2012, 10:38 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine always leaked and need air ever few months. The slime totaly fix it and I have not added air in a year and a half. Who cares if there is a mess inside, when these tires come off there trash anyways.

A tire shop changes my tires so its there problem anyways. LOL

Old 01-06-2012, 10:40 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

I would think coolant in your tire would mess the bead up-
bead sealer is glue- to seal and keep the bead on the rim- coolant is not glue and has lubricating additives in it, it will only lube the bead, which would make the bead "slip" off easier if it gets pinched in a rock or something... I would think

ever try to take a sealed bead off a rim? it's a major PITA to break that bead-

I also can't see why coolant would "seal" any leak permanently- a tire is rubber, same as a radiator hose. Coolant won't seal any radiator leaks- hot or cold... so don't know why the coolant chemistry would effect the tire rubber any different then the radiator rubber

but I could be wrong.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:26 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by beergut
I would think coolant in your tire would mess the bead up-
bead sealer is glue- to seal and keep the bead on the rim- coolant is not glue and has lubricating additives in it, it will only lube the bead, which would make the bead "slip" off easier if it gets pinched in a rock or something... I would think

ever try to take a sealed bead off a rim? it's a major PITA to break that bead-

I also can't see why coolant would "seal" any leak permanently- a tire is rubber, same as a radiator hose. Coolant won't seal any radiator leaks- hot or cold... so don't know why the coolant chemistry would effect the tire rubber any different then the radiator rubber

but I could be wrong.
What the coolant does is prevents the aluminum rim from oxidizing around the bead which is what causes the leak, same thing happens on cars with aluminum wheels, I don't drive my one car much so the tires last a long time but I have to take the tires off and scuff up the rims about every 2 years because they start leaking badly from oxidization, you usually don't see this with steel rims, just the aluminum one's.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:23 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Originally Posted by NoJoke
The Slime labeling claims it is non-toxic.......
Why does that matter, it goes in your tires not on your dinner plate.

ATVs also use gas and oil which no one would want to drink either.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TLC
Mine always leaked and need air ever few months. The slime totaly fix it and I have not added air in a year and a half. Who cares if there is a mess inside, when these tires come off there trash anyways.

A tire shop changes my tires so its there problem anyways. LOL
YEAH! I remember some of the overly slimed tires we had to change! We would break the beads on the tire machine,BUT take em to a table and while I or someone else held the tire,another guy would use tire irons to remove the wheel and try not to splash this crap everywhere! We held the tire up right until we got it outside on the used tire pile! I've seen some with over 5 pounds of tire slime and about 20 tire plugs! The best sealant we found down here was in 5 gallon pump cans from Texas Refinery Corp and mainly used for tractor tires and industrial tire sealant.(TIRE SEAL 11 (contained a little antifreeze to protect the rims from oxidation) Worked pretty good (plugged holes up to about 5/16" or a little smaller than your little finger! Easy to pump in,but ALL tire slime is nasty! OPT

Old 01-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

So coolant keeps the aluminum wheels from oxidizing preventing the tire to leak around the bead. Makes perfect since to me but...... what about when I pick up a thorn or another sharp object out on the trail or roadway? Will the coolant help me out then? I'm kinda doubting it. As messy as slime can be I'll stick with it. Besides, How often does the average guy change out tires on their quad, bike, tractor, etc.

Old 01-06-2012, 02:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Most of the good tire sealant has a little antifreeze in it to prevent rim oxidation(check specs on Tire Seal 11 from Texas Refinery Corp), BUT straight coolant won't help do anything but have clean rims for you when you have to tear the tire off to plug patch it! I've even found coffee grounds with antifreeze that some guy concocted and swore by it,but had plugs all over the tire! Tire sealant is nasty but pretty well does the job on small to medium punctures. OPT

Quick Reply: Tired of tires going flat?