Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Why part-time 4wd?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2001, 06:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You want to know why I enjoy part-time 4WD? Its pretty simple.

Can you think of any full-time AWD ATV that actually has TRUE 4-wheel drive? When I flip that little switch on my Xplorer, I know that all 4 wheels are going to get power, not just the two rear wheels and whichever front wheel has the least traction.

Old 03-19-2001, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

Mainrider, explain to me how 4wd robs any power. When in 2wd all the same components are still turning, at least on any quad other than Polaris, and I've been told on Polaris as well. So that's not an argument.
Same thing with the wear and tear on the drive train. The parts are still moving. Even if it did save a bit on the front drivetrain, it would only be increased on the rear drivetrain, so I can't see that being a valid argument either.
It seems alot of people are using lessons they learned from 4x4 trucks as reasons for part-time 4wd on quads. As of yet, only fastasu's reason for part-time 4wd makes sense. That, and that it's plain to see that many people seem to believe it will give them better performance and are willing to pay for the increased cost and complexity that it brings.

Actually, the Polaris forum was probably not the best place to bring this issue up. With Polaris quads, the main reason for selectable 2/4wd is because of the On-Demand True 4wd system, in which the front wheels both pull. This system makes 2/4wd a necessity.

I only brought this up here because someone thought that the Wolverine would be more competitive with the Scrambler if it had part-time 4wd, which I disagree with.

Except for Polaris, I'm convinced that the only advantage of 2/4wd is the fun factor.(for the consumer-the manufactuer gets the benefits of increased sale price and increased up keep costs)
I guess a lot of people really like sliding the rear end around.

Old 03-20-2001, 08:46 PM
Trailblazer

When in 2wd the 4wd components are moving but there is no strain on them because the front wheels turn freely. In 4wd mode there is strain because you are pulling with the wheels, which puts strain on the parts.

I agree that only in straight line drag races a quad with 4wd could be faster. But not in anything else. It takes too much effort to turn or manuver. Also, in tight woods its nice to have 2wd so you can slide the rear end to turn if you have to.