Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Plow fell off

Old 01-29-2012, 05:33 PM
Moto Psycho
Default Plow fell off

I have a Glacier I plow and was plowing when the rear end came unhooked and the plow was just hanging by the winch cable. I guess I hit a crack in the sidewalk too hard. The way the plow is mounted it doesn't look like it's possible for it to come unhooked. Has anyone else had this happen, and how can I keep it from happening again?

Old 01-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Range Rover

I had it happen once. Couldn't figure out how it came off.

Old 01-30-2012, 07:24 PM
Trailblazer

I'm thinking the front must not have been hooked up properly. If the pin were in as it should be, no way I can see the rear coming off

Old 01-30-2012, 07:57 PM
Moto Psycho

It was working great as usual then just started flopping around. I looked at it again and still can't figure out what happened. Maybe it wasn't hooked up right but could swear it was.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:38 PM
Trailblazer

I have had mine fall off quite a few times. I plow miles with mine though and after a while the plow frame can bend in the center causing the hook in back not to catch all the way. I took mine off beat it in center with sledge hammer then welded the plow frame around the sides that are just tacked with small beads problem solved for a bit this year I bought a new plow frame . In my opinion the glacier 1 are the more durable models the guys I plow with that have the 2 modle dont hold up at all after one night we where rebuilding them!!!

Old 04-13-2019, 12:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Glacier Pro plow falling off

Originally Posted by user493 View Post
I have a Glacier I plow and was plowing when the rear end came unhooked and the plow was just hanging by the winch cable. I guess I hit a crack in the sidewalk too hard. The way the plow is mounted it doesn't look like it's possible for it to come unhooked. Has anyone else had this happen, and how can I keep it from happening again?
I have also had many issues with the glacier pro plow falling of my 2019 Sportsman. I was very frusterated with it and was ready to take the whole plow kit back. I decided to play around with it and tried alot of different things and came up with 2 ways to fix it... (one is more of a workaround, the other is an actual fix).

Turns out all you really need to do is adjust the length of the release handle by loosening the nut on the handle and lengthening the handle a little bit.

Its a shame this adjustment is not mentioned in the manual anywhere and the polaris dealer who installed it for me had no idea how to do this...

Old 04-13-2019, 08:37 AM
Range Rover

Whoa. Somebody really reinvented the wheel.
I have a plow I bought from Cabelas for $200, and while it's in no way the best, there is no way for it to ever fall off.
Hopefully that video solves your issue.

Old 04-13-2019, 07:19 PM
THE BERMINATOR

Just a simple adjustment that should be in the owner's manual. Interesting video but it doesn't have anything to do with the original Glacier plow, Glacier II plow or Glacier III plow.

Original Glacier Plow.

Glacier II Plow.

Glacier III Plow.

Old 04-14-2019, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

Glad I got the Pile Driver plow, that think is built like a tank! 3 yrs plowing and not one issue, off and on in 30 seconds!

Old 04-15-2019, 02:58 AM
THE BERMINATOR

As long as it works for you I guess that's all that matters. I knocked my plow off I think twice in 10 years but still don't know how. Other than that I've plowed miles of street, sidewalks and driveways and slammed into curbs and and edges of cracks pretty hard without any problems. And I don't have to keep taking the mount off every year like I did with my old one that hit rocks and things when I left it on one year. It cuts the ground clearance by less than an inch and that's between the front wheels, not between the front and back. My generic mid-mount hung down and cut the breakover angle so bad I got hung up trying to go over a downed tree that my Glacier mount wouldn't even have hit. It got banged up on rocks so bad I had to straighten it out with a big *** hammer and grind down the edges that mushroomed out just to get the plow back on. And unlike some others the Glacier plow and Polaris brush guard were designed to work together. All in all I'm happy with it.