Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Old vs New AWD system - Inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 11:50 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Old vs New AWD system - Inquiry

Hello,

This is more of a very general inquiry for people are a bit familiar with Polaris specifically. I previously owned an older (2001?) Scrambler 500 years ago, and now own a 2000 Sportsman 500. I had issues with the Scrambler where one front wheel did not one to pull while in AWD mode. Eventually I was able to find an article online on how to adjust the hub clutch (I had someone far more technical help me). And it seemed like the problem just kept coming back.

I now have this issue with the Sportsman as well. So this leads me to the question: Are the newer models using a more reliable system? I've seen things on forums that suggest that the AWD system has been changed and is more or less a diff lock now instead.

Is someone able to confirm this, and possibly around what year they changed it? I'm also curious if they are less problematic.

Thank you

Old 03-24-2019, 05:49 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't remember when they changed but now everything is right in the middle, in a gear box between the axles instead of in the hubs. Either both sides work or neither one does, so you don't have to worry about one wheel locking or not locking. I never had a problem with either system so I can't say which is more reliable, but I like the new system better. I just don't like the ADC but I can turn mine off.

Old 03-24-2019, 05:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Big Frank
I can't remember when they changed but now everything is right in the middle, in a gear box between the axles instead of in the hubs. Either both sides work or neither one does, so you don't have to worry about one wheel locking or not locking. I never had a problem with either system so I can't say which is more reliable, but I like the new system better. I just don't like the ADC but I can turn mine off.
Thanks so much for the reply. I'm thinking I may like the newer system better, my current one is almost two decades old, after all. I've had a lot of ATV's, and this is my second Polaris. The front wheel issue seems to follow me when I buy them used, but I want to give Polaris a fair chance because they definitely seem like they make some innovative stuff.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:33 PM
THE BERMINATOR

Polaris has been an innovator for a long time. When one of my friends bought his Grizzly 660 the rest of his friends and family were looking at all the new things it had that his Kodiak 400 didn't. Push button 4x4, IRS, CVT transmission, things like that. His 4x4 was On COMmand instead of On DEmand like mine. When they were done oohing and awing about all the fancy new things I pointed at my Sportsman 500 and said, I've had all of that for 12 years, or whatever number it was.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Haha, nice! They definitely seem willing to try different things instead of just follow the rest of the industry, which is great. I just seem to have bad luck with them, but I also think I happened to get a couple used ones that were more abused. I may get something newer if my current one continues to have issues, and maybe see how they are.

I know they changed the body styles a lot in 2005, so I wonder if that signifies major changes, and is the same year the AWD system was changed.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:07 PM
THE BERMINATOR

It could be. Watch out for 2004.5 models. I read they used a mix of 2004 and 2005 parts. Maybe their own 2004.5 parts too. Who knows? That might be the start of the centralized 4x4 system. I don't know of any xxxx.5 model years but I don't try to keep track of that stuff.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

That's good to know, thank you! I appreciate all of the information.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:58 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

basically Polaris went to the new style roller cage cv the hubs. the hub style (imo) more realizable as long as they are maintained where as the new roller (as mentioned in the front end) are easier to break if you accidently switch to awd while spinning you'll break the plastic roller cage in a heart beat as there have a lot of them happening. some one through searching had found the same part(roller cage) is the same as in a small john deere tractor and much cheaper to buy them the Polaris part. not 100% sure but it was around 05-06 when they made the switch I think.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:33 PM
THE BERMINATOR

I forgot about the plastic roller cage. That's the weak link in the system. Stendori is right, it will grenade if you switch it to 4x4 while you're spinning the wheels. Never do that under any circumstances. It's in the owner's manual if anyone reads it. If the roller cage gets cracks in it or breaks there are replacements available that are made of aluminum. They cost more than the plastic roller cages but I never heard of anyone breaking a metal one. I think someone on here said Polaris switched to metal roller cages.

Old 04-15-2019, 09:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

I know this is an old thread but...

I have an 01 500 h.o with the older style clutches.

I fought mine tooth and nail and finally got them working right.

If you have one side not pulling then its either
1- The hub coil (magnet) is not grabbing the armature plate due to an electrical issue or plain old bein worn out.
2- The armature plate is bad (most common)
3- The coil sleeve is out of spec (1/1000inch or less)
4- The clutch is shot.

As far as diagnosing you need 25 ohms and 10-12 volts at the coil for it to function properly.

If that checks out then inspect the armature plate for ANY damage, these things are 10 bucks a piece, change it.

The outter coil sleeve needs to be within spec or completly flat for the armature to stick to it properly. You can tap the outer sleeve back (carefully!) If its to far out.

The clutch is pretty straight forward, make sure there is NO resistance between the rollers and cage (this was the issue with mine), i pulled the hex nut out of the middle and pushed a roller thru each cage slot and any "tightness" was filed down off the cage.

Last but not least, make sure everything is torqued properly (14 ft lbs to seat everything, done while spinning the hub, back off the nut 1/2 turn, spin the rear axles by hand (this will also spin the front CV) and retorque nut between 9 and 12 ft lbs.

Refill hub oil by filling it at the 3 o clock postion, and use polaris demand drive.

My buddy i ride with has a 2014 570 with the newer style centralized hilliard, there is no difference in performance between his and my 01, and the older system is MUCH cheaper/eaiser to deal with when it dumps out. As well as overall opinion being the older system is more bulletproof, but less idiot proof.