Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

tachometer

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2012, 03:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tachometer

Hows it goin?,

I am new to wheelers and new to forums so bear with me and thanks for any help. I just bought a 2003 250 trail blazer (Only ever rode snowmobiles) I have two issues i need to correct. 1st i want to install a temporary tach to adjust my clutching.(and have the revs acccurate) From what i understand i should be able to hook an old school indy sled tach right into it. Could someone confirm and meybe help me out with some instruction? Also my headlight goes in and out, i replaced the bulb and i still have the same issue????? I am pretty sure it is some sort of regulator in the system, but i am not sure where to start. i have the owners manual, and i am looking to get the service manual, but i dont have it yet. i think these work almost identical to the sleds but i dont feel confident enough to start making changes, and corrections yet. thanks for any help

Justin

Old 03-21-2012, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider

That quad has a non-digital ignition with a four magnets in the flywheel.

you need a 2 pulse tach. hooks up to any one coil of the three lighting coils and then other wire is grounded. I got mine from a 96 indy 440. A tach from any twin cyl sled with a four magnet flywheel will be a two pulse. The online parts fiche's sometimes state what pulse the tach is as well. Making it easy.

tachometer/hour meters that clip on the spark plug wire are a pain with that bike cause it will read twice actual revs. because it fires the plug twice in a revoulution. making it hard and inconsistant to read. you don't want one.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:46 AM
Pro Rider

try tradebit.com for a manual

Old 03-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by mrtwostroke
That quad has a non-digital ignition with a four magnets in the flywheel.

you need a 2 pulse tach. hooks up to any one coil of the three lighting coils and then other wire is grounded. I got mine from a 96 indy 440. A tach from any twin cyl sled with a four magnet flywheel will be a two pulse. The online parts fiche's sometimes state what pulse the tach is as well. Making it easy.

tachometer/hour meters that clip on the spark plug wire are a pain with that bike cause it will read twice actual revs. because it fires the plug twice in a revoulution. making it hard and inconsistant to read. you don't want one.

Thank you for the tip. Now i just have to figure out what is going on with the head light.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

Any one have any ideas what rpm i should be running @ full throttle with wheels on the ground. I was playing around the other day and realized it doesn't seem to rev all the way out under load but it will with the wheels off the ground? I know my old sled used to rev at about 8200 where this sounds like it only at about 6 or 6500? Hence the reason i need a tach. Eventually I am going to build a clutch kit, and hopefully race this thing, but i'm thinking its a little to small.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider
Old 04-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Clutch tool.

Thanks for all the help. Got the headlight fixed. It was the plug. Pulled, cleaned, and hooked back up now the headlight is good to go. Now i am replacing the starter, and rebuilding the clutches. Does anyone know which clutch alignment tool i need? I am also replacing the motor mounts (hence the clutch alignment tool. I have looked all over the web and cannot find out if it has a p85 or a p90 Clutch (if either) Any help is appreciate.

Thanks

Justin.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well.....

my bike is going ok. Still found some small issues I may have to look at. At coasting or low speeds i get a low grinding/friction/rapid clunking noise coming from the drive sytem. not sure if it is the final drive or inside of the transmision. Still looking for a tach, and I am havin an issue looking at them and trying to figure out which wires I have to seal off and which ones i have to connect. sleds have an odometer and i only need two wires for the tach. The new issue is my neibor just bought the same bike but a 2001 and the last person that worked on it broke the magnets in the flywheel, then turned it over. plenty of problems getting part on ebay since i moved.(my shipping addresses are all messed up so now i've been waiting quite a while, since my stuff was "undeliverable") that is all fixed now. the problem is i need a tach to check the timing on his, and i want one for mine to tune it the way i want. I dont want to buy one until i am sure i know how to wire it.*+(Which wires on the tach or which?) my dad gave me a good tip for tracking timing corrections by putting using a wire locator and a degree wheel to mark TDC and degrees. Really old school but it is one of the best ideas for timing trouble shooting anyones ever told me. *(Taught to him by his buddy who is about 20 years older. "my dads 58" I really appreciate the stuff they now and the tricks they know without all the equipmet, so if anyone would like to know the sytem, let me know and i will set my dad up on here to help you. He's an awsome machanic and a great guy.) Sorry for the long questiion, it's friday and ive been reading info, drinkin, and worring abour my and my buddys bike. Not sure where i going but if anyone has any help, PLEASE Post. I need to figure out how hook up the two pulse tach that I need. (Wiring wise?)

Thank you for any hellp

Justin.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:39 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mrtwostroke
also you may contact rick @ rcr racing for advice on what to clutch it at for the most power gains and even adding a pipe.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Thumbs down

Stendori,

Do you know anything about which wires to use on a tach? I think they have more than two?

Quick Reply: tachometer