Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

new tires or winch

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 08:53 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new tires or winch

Ok I can only afford one or The other. I have a 2011 sportsman 500 and I have less than 500 miles on The stock tires and I'm not a big fan of them. But I don't need new ones but I'd like some.(wouldn't we all) and I've also always wanted a winch. So I don't know what I should do. I know that there are plenty of you guys who have done both so please give me pros and Cons of going either way. And what are some good all around tires for trail, mud, and rock crawling if you think I should go that way. Thanks in advance for your input.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Don't normally get into this area ,but just my opinion,WINCH! Even with good tires you can get stuck.
At least you can pull yourself out while saving for a set of better tires. Again my old opinion! OPT

Old 04-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

Go with a winch and spend the money to get a warn rt25 or better...I tried to save and got an off brand on eBay and it worked for about three rides...I threw it away and got a warn and have had it trouble free for three years. I ended up getting it on amazon cheaper than any other place. Also, warn is offering a $50 rebate right now. I could justify buying both the tires and the winch, but if I had decent tires and no winch, I would deal with the tires and get the winch.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:25 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

as stated, a winch can pull you out where the new tires will get you in deeper and then you can't get out.

Old 04-06-2012, 03:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Promark also makes a quality winch at a reasonable price. I would go with a winch first. Better tires will get you stuck deeper somewhere and you'll really wish you had one-lol When you get tires sometime I really like the zillas. Had them on a few of my rides (currently running 27's on my RZR) and they are a great all-around tire.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:13 AM
Trailblazer
Default Winch!

Agreed. I just installed a Superwinch LT3000 on my 08 Sportsman 300 and I am now starting to save for tires. Machine only has 200 miles on it, but the stock tires are 22", I want to put at least 24" tires on it eventually as that is what the 400 came stock with on the same frame. Been riding 3 times with the winch and have either used it on myself or to help a friend so far.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:54 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with every post above- get a winch!
you really can't feel comfortable riding alone in any kind of rough or muddy terrain without a winch.
unless you don't mind walking miles to find someone to pull you out...

Old 04-06-2012, 08:11 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Do you ride alone,then get a winch. I fried my Warn winch awhile back but I always ride in groups and just let the other guy winch me out.

Even when my winch worked, it was easier for the guy not stuck to throw me his hook then for me to throw him mine since it was likely buried in mud anyways.

Its the reason I never bought a new replacement and its nice to have that 50lbs of mounting plate and wintch off of the front end,I can really feel it.

A Winch is very necessary sometimes but let the other guy buy it and carry it around. LOL

Old 04-06-2012, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

X however many. Go with a good quality winch like a Warn, Ramsey, or Superwinch. Especially if you ride alone in muddy areas. As others have said you can still get stuck with new tires. We also use the winch to pull logs out of the woods, put my truck cap on and to take it off, etc. Handy to have.

Old 04-06-2012, 01:30 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definately get the winch first and save for tires later if you still want them.

Quick Reply: new tires or winch